none
Win32_Processor/OperatingSystem: WMI: Provider load failure RRS feed

• Question

• Have a Windows XP SP3 system with WMI problems.  I'm working on this system remotely and have seen the following under Computer Management > Services and Applications > WMI Control:

Failed to initialize all required WMI classes.

Win32_Processor: WMI: Provider load failure

Win32_WMISetting: Successful

Security information: Successful

Win32_OperatingSystem: WMI: Provider load failure

I've done a repair of WMI with the following command with no success:

rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository

After which, i've done a rebuild with the following steps:

1) net stop winmgmt

2) rename %windir%\System32\wbem\Repository to Repository.Old

3) Change Directory to %Windir%\System32\wbem and ran "for /f %s in ('dir /b /s *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s"

4) Net start winmgmt

5) Change directory to C:\ and ran "for /f %s in ('dir /s /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %s"

That did not resolve the error either.  Any suggestion on next steps to resolve this issue?

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:31 PM

All replies

• Checking this out using wbemtest.exe, I found that the class(s) "Win32_Processor" and "Win32_OperatingSystem" do not exist on my XP systems, but do exist on my Win7 systems. How were these classes added?

You could just remove those 2 classes on the XP system in question, but the error seems harmless.

BTW the wbemtest error produced when I try to query a nonexistent class is;

Number: 0x80041002
    Facility: WMI
    Description: Not found

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:55 PM
  • They should exist on Windows XP as well.  I have a VM of an XP system and both classes exist.  The details that the WMI Control Properties shows for that system are:

Successfully Connected to: <Computer Name>

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU     X7350 @ 2.93GHz

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

OS Version: 5.1.2600

Service Pack: 3.0

WMI Version: 2600.0000

WMI location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM

I would expect to get the same results on my trouble system if all was working properly.  According to Microsoft this class should be enabled by default on XP:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa394239(v=vs.85).aspx

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:20 PM
  • Ah, I made an initial mistake while connecting to the WMI namespace. I left it at root\default when I ran wbemtest thinking it was going to connect to the default root for scripting (root\cimv2) but no.

Is there anything useful in the logs? %windir%\system32\wbem\Logs

Here is a guide to reinstalling WMI, it might be worth reading through...http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi/msg/1da6ab3690bc75a0

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:37 PM