App-V 4.5 SP1 - SP2 Upgrade process for multi management server environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are aiming to upgrade our App-V infrastructure from 4.5 SP1 to 4.6 SP2.

We are in the process of upgrading our clients to 4.6 SP2 and understand that this must be completed before we attempt to upgrade any other infrastructure components.

Having reviewed a few documents and posts for upgrading the management servers from SP1 to SP2 but I still have a few points I would like clarified if possible.

Our deployment infrastructure consists of three management servers using RTSP for app streaming, the management servers are DNS round robin load balanced, and the App-V database is on a remote SQL cluster.

My intention is to remove the DNS A record for the first management server so it is not accessible from client and upgrade this to SP2, allow client access to it and then repeat with the remaining servers one at a time. Following this process would I hope not introduce any significant performance or availability issues for clients.

My concerns with this are:

What changes to the App-V SQL database does the upgrade process make and how will this affect the management servers still running App-V 4.5 SP1

Best practice is to have all management servers at the same version, so what affect on App-V service availability will a rolling process of server upgrades have, I would hope to have this process completed over a couple of days.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:41 PM

Answers

• Somebody else may provide better feedback here, it has been a long time since I performed a direct upgrade and even used 4.5 SP1. From what I have saved in my e-mail archives for notes is reflects:You need to ensure you make the upgrade with an account that's in the SQL Admins. Ensure NT Authority\Network Service is given the SFTUSER and SFTEVERYONE role.

If your SQL service is set to Automatic, it's a good idea to change it to Automatic (Delayed) as App-V seems to skip ahead and miss it or something like that and results in a client error about request being refused. You'll want to ensure the content share location is correct also.

It's a good idea to take a look at all your settings, maybe do a backup of the reg hive on the server and the clients to refer to.

Have a look  HERE

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Marked as answer by Ianmcg66 Monday, June 10, 2013 8:24 AM
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:50 PM

All replies