MSconfig boot is blank, but still boots. Need to remove a boot menu entry. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have three boot menu entries that appear when I restart my pc.  The last one I would like to remove, as it isn't valid anymore.  When I go into msconfig, boot (tab), there isn't any entries in it.  I tried recreating another administrator profile, but that didn't help.  I tried using EASYBCD but I get the error message: the boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system cannot find the file specified. I searched for a bcd file, but didn't find any.  Upon reboot it shows three entries and does boot to windows, but I would like to remove the third, invalid, entry.

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, March 9, 2015 1:02 PM

Answers

• If I read that right it sounds like its missing the bcd. Boot to your windows cd don't run repair. Go into command prompt and type bcdboot c:\windows (assuming c: is where windows is installed.
    • Edited by aw00t Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Roger Lu Tuesday, March 10, 2015 3:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, March 16, 2015 9:30 AM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:26 PM
  • As suggested I would boot up with the windows 7 disk and once loaded and past the first screen you should see at the bottom right "repair" click that and load up a cmd prompt there you can try running:

bcedit

you should get a list of all current entries, look for windows xp one and white down the identifier. and if you feel ready to try than run:

bcedit /delete {identifier}

• Proposed as answer by Daveben007 Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:09 PM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:09 PM

All replies

• ML

Easiest way is to use EasyBcd  http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, March 9, 2015 2:06 PM
  • ML

Easiest way is to use EasyBcd  http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

??????

He said in his post "I tried using EASYBCD but I get the error message: the boot configuration data store could not be opened."

Monday, March 9, 2015 2:40 PM
  • Look in Control Panel / System / Advanced tab / Start up and Recovery Settings button / Default Operating System drop down.  Are the other boot options shown there?  You may be able to remove the unwanted ones there if so.
    Monday, March 9, 2015 2:50 PM
  • That is the strange part, nothing is showing there, it is blank. I am logged in as administrator. I have tried other newly created admin accounts. But it boots fine, giving me three choices, the first 2 work.

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, March 9, 2015 2:58 PM
  • What do the 3 choices show? Are they all the same?

Not sure what to think. Have you ever used a 3rd party boot manager or installed another OS?

• Edited by GTS-NJ Monday, March 9, 2015 8:15 PM
    Monday, March 9, 2015 8:15 PM
  • I have windows 7, MS Dart and windows xp installed.  I uninstalled windows xp over a year ago. I booted into dart and ran startup repair.  It fixed it real good...no entries like before, but this time not starting at all.  missing boot\bcd.  I tried putting in windows 7 cd and running repair, but didn't work.  Decided it was time to reload windows 7, as all of my data is on another drive, it has been years since I did it anyway. My cloned/backup drive got into windows, but blue screened and did the same thing.  I wonder if I got a virus or possibly a registry cleaning program did this?

thanks,

Mark

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:06 PM
  • If I read that right it sounds like its missing the bcd. Boot to your windows cd don't run repair. Go into command prompt and type bcdboot c:\windows (assuming c: is where windows is installed.
    • Edited by aw00t Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Roger Lu Tuesday, March 10, 2015 3:23 PM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:26 PM
  • Registry cleaners can cause many types of damage, so if one was ever used that's a possibility. It does seem like there may have been a corrupted bcd, so the suggestion from  aw00t is worth a try if you haven't already reinstalled.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 2:55 PM
  • As suggested I would boot up with the windows 7 disk and once loaded and past the first screen you should see at the bottom right "repair" click that and load up a cmd prompt there you can try running:

bcedit

you should get a list of all current entries, look for windows xp one and white down the identifier. and if you feel ready to try than run:

bcedit /delete {identifier}

• Proposed as answer by Daveben007 Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:09 PM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:09 PM