Errors concerning Eudora v7.1.0.9 and v6.2 RRS feed

• Question

• 12-August-2016
    Hello ...
    Hope this forum is still active.
    I run 2 computers ...

One is a desktop running W7Pro-32bit with Eudora Pro 7.1.0.9 and the other is a Compaq CQ58 laptop running W7Pro-64bit which up to a few days ago when it became necessary to re-format the hard drive, was using Eudora Pro 6.2.  
    A few days ago, I re-formatted both computers (I do this every 6 to 12 months as a matter of course).  Following re-installation, both are working fine but I now have a couple of problems with Eudora.

Firstly, with the desktop ...
    When I 'Check Mail' in Eudora, it has always seemed to take forever before the 'Logging in to POP server' message disappears and mail appears in my 'In' box.  Since I re-installed everything, 'Check Mail' still gives me the 'Logging in ... ' message together with 2 error messages.  The first of these at the bottom of the Eudora window says 'SSL negotiation failed.  The connection with the server has been lost.  Cause: (200)'.  I just delete the message and carry on.  The slowness is irritating though!
    The second error message was as follows:
    -----
    The server's SSL certificate was rejected for the following reason: Unknown Error

Do you want to trust this certificate in future sessions?

Certificate:
        Data:
            Version: 3 (0x2)
            Serial Number:
                48:e9:94:40:d4:36:49:1c:b8:b8:82:3d:09:43:94:c7
            Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
            Issuer: C=US, O=GeoTrust Inc., OU=(c) 2008 GeoTrust Inc. - For authorized use only, CN=GeoTrust Primary Certification Authority - G3
            Validity
                Not Before: Jun 10 00:00:00 2014 GMT
                Not After : Jun  9 23:59:59 2024 GMT
            Subject: C=US, O=GeoTrust Inc., CN=RapidSSL SHA256 CA - G2
            Subject Public Key Info:
                Public Key Algorithm: rsaEncryption
                RSA Public Key: (2048 bit)
                    Modulus (2048 bit):
                        00:c4:95:63:28:d0:4e:30:45:af:8b:97:34:14:45:
                        f8:5c:58:4a:fa:33:8e:6e:9c:60:ab:f3:86:ff:34:
                        74:b2:2b:be:a1:8c:d5:a2:a3:60:7a:40:b9:e1:fc:
                        22:ca:67:ba:60:aa:c7:9a:f9:06:7f:ee:f7:ba:85:
                        05:b0:03:ff:72:ae:15:41:4a:98:64:d7:17:4b:54:
                        ef:05:c6:98:07:93:27:3e:4f:dc:0f:c6:7b:8b:e7:
                        f3:06:5e:8d:e8:b4:ae:29:b4:1e:1e:2d:16:90:d3:
                        ea:aa:e7:8c:3b:6d:af:36:59:ff:c5:0a:fa:c7:4c:
                        bd:36:8b:64:c4:4a:f5:ce:33:f9:07:be:7f:45:90:
                        a8:08:14:b0:d0:a5:4f:df:82:80:da:1b:ee:c3:13:
                        b0:98:f5:0f:f9:7e:76:b5:e6:b9:5d:68:b9:5c:50:
                        90:89:a4:36:b1:70:16:ea:b1:10:b5:6a:76:df:e1:
                        bb:fc:78:f2:72:99:cf:c9:a2:d4:73:54:77:bf:c0:
                        39:77:e5:ae:12:c5:78:5a:19:45:d4:41:19:d3:7c:
                        f5:6f:99:6b:d7:8b:bc:2d:09:9d:4b:10:61:c0:da:
                        52:c3:af:22:43:c6:eb:37:7e:63:74:30:0d:6a:71:
                        8e:de:5d:5b:8a:c8:c5:d7:9b:29:e8:ae:b6:25:61:
                        81:eb
    -----
    I just click 'Yes' to accept it and then carry on but this second message never appeared before I re-formatted.  Now, it's appearing every time.

Secondly, with the laptop ...
    Before, I'd originally tried to install Eudora 7.1.0.9 but got the message that it wasn't compatible on a 32bit machine, thus it wouldn't install.  On trying to get information from the net, it was suggested that v6.2 would install perfectly (despite the fact that it was an older version!)  so I downloaded it from an oldversion site and it worked.  Then I had to run a complete re-format of the laptop.  v6.2 was re-installed okay to a point but after running through the various settings, it wouldn't let me save them.  Instead, I got a message saying ...
    'Eudora was unable to update the system registry.  Your default mail program has not been changed'.
    This has never appeared before and I have no idea what to do about it.

One final point ... from what I've read on other sites, users seem to be split on whether 7.1.0.9 can or cannot be made to run on W7.  Those who say 'can' show instructions but they seem quite complicated which makes me doubt as to whether I should try the process.

I'm sorry that this post is so long but I wanted to put in as much detail as I could.

Thank you for your patience and I would be very grateful for any help please.

Michael.
    Friday, August 12, 2016 11:44 AM

Answers

• Hi mipak,

Based on my knowledge and search, for the SSL issue, if you delete the pop-up message, it will occur the second error. We could try the following steps to check. Firstly, I suggest that we could try temporarily.

Open Eudora, go to ‘Tools’, ‘Options’, ‘Checking Mail’. Click on ‘Last SSL Info’ button, click on ‘Certificate Information Manager’ button at bottom of window. In the next window that appears, you’ll see a directory style list of Certificate nomenclature. Click on the topmost ‘+’ symbol box next to the topmost ‘smiley-face’ icon. This will open the first in a hierarchy list of Certificates and present another ‘+’ symbol box next to another ‘smiley-face’ icon beneath the first. Click the next ‘+’ symbol box. And repeat until you get to a Certificate that shows a ‘skull & crossbones’ icon instead of a ‘smiley face’. High-light the ‘skull & crossbones’ entry by clicking on it.

Then go to the bottom of the window and click the ‘Add To Trusted’ button. Close all windows and then click the ‘check mail’ icon in the menu bar at the top of the Eudora screen. It should now complete the check for new mail as it did before. If not, repeat the procedure outlined above until it does.

For the 'Eudora was unable to update the system registry’ issue, I suggest that we could right click the Eudora icon and click “Run As Administrator” to install.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 15, 2016 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi mipak,

Based on my knowledge and search, for the SSL issue, if you delete the pop-up message, it will occur the second error. We could try the following steps to check. Firstly, I suggest that we could try temporarily.

Open Eudora, go to ‘Tools’, ‘Options’, ‘Checking Mail’. Click on ‘Last SSL Info’ button, click on ‘Certificate Information Manager’ button at bottom of window. In the next window that appears, you’ll see a directory style list of Certificate nomenclature. Click on the topmost ‘+’ symbol box next to the topmost ‘smiley-face’ icon. This will open the first in a hierarchy list of Certificates and present another ‘+’ symbol box next to another ‘smiley-face’ icon beneath the first. Click the next ‘+’ symbol box. And repeat until you get to a Certificate that shows a ‘skull & crossbones’ icon instead of a ‘smiley face’. High-light the ‘skull & crossbones’ entry by clicking on it.

Then go to the bottom of the window and click the ‘Add To Trusted’ button. Close all windows and then click the ‘check mail’ icon in the menu bar at the top of the Eudora screen. It should now complete the check for new mail as it did before. If not, repeat the procedure outlined above until it does.

For the 'Eudora was unable to update the system registry’ issue, I suggest that we could right click the Eudora icon and click “Run As Administrator” to install.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 15, 2016 7:13 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? Because the case may be closed few days later.
    If you feel the suggestion could be helpful to you, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please feel free to post back and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best regards,
    Carl Fan

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:59 AM