Hyper-V Server - NetAdapter in unusable state RRS feed

• Question

• Hello *

while evaluating Hyper-V Server I tried to create a new external Switch bound to my physical nic. I did that with Hyper-V Manager from a remote machine. It failed, leaving me with no Network Connection at all.

How can I reset the netadapter to at least the state it was before?

Here is some insight:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Get-Netadapter

Name                       : Ethernet
    InterfaceDescription       : Intel(R) I350 Gigabit Network Connection
    InterfaceIndex             : 5
    MacAddress                 : 0C-C4-7A-6B-C5-04
    MediaType                  : 802.3
    PhysicalMediaType          : 802.3
    InterfaceOperationalStatus : Down
    AdminStatus                : Up
    LinkSpeed(Mbps)            : 0
    MediaConnectionState       : Unknown
    ConnectorPresent           : False
    DriverInformation          : Driver Date 2015-03-20 Version 12.12.50.6 NDIS 6.30

Normally, when you create an external Switch you'll get your old Adapter bound to the switch and a new Adapter object connected to that Switch with your old settings. ConnectorPresent: False seems to point to the new virtual Adapter that should actually be bound to the Switch and inherit my old Settings but in fact it has no Settings at all:

Get-NetIPInterface : No MSFT_NetIPInterface objects found with property 'InterfaceIndex' equal to '5'.  Verify the
    value of the property and retry.
    At C:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\Modules\NetTCPIP\NetIPConfiguration.psm1:81 char:29
    + ... nterfaces = Get-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex $InterfaceIndex -Inclu ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (5:UInt32) [Get-NetIPInterface], CimJobException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CmdletizationQuery_NotFound_InterfaceIndex,Get-NetIPInterface

And finally the Output from Get-NetAdapterBinding:

Name                           DisplayName                                        ComponentID          Enabled    
    ----                           -----------                                        -----------          -------    
    Ethernet                       Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol     ms_implat            False      
    Ethernet                       Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver    ms_lltdio            True       
    Ethernet                       Client for Microsoft Networks                      ms_msclient          True       
    Ethernet                       QoS Packet Scheduler                               ms_pacer             True       
    Ethernet                       Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder            ms_rspndr            True       
    Ethernet                       File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks    ms_server            True       
    Ethernet                       Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)             ms_tcpip             True       
    Ethernet                       Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)             ms_tcpip6            True       
    Ethernet                       Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch                  vms_pp               False      

So is there a way to fix that Problem or at least a way to delete the Adapter and recreate it the way it was?

/Klaus

Monday, February 1, 2016 4:40 PM

Answers

• Well, I do understand that the software must be compatible, however, in Win10 this is an extra download anyway, why can't I have that extra download with all tools for Win7, Win8, and Win8.1?

In addition, remote Management of the Win2016 Hyper-v from a Win2012 R2 Server works!

It's just the client version of the remote Management tools that don't work

Anyway, I am kidnapping my own thread, to finish things off, there was no solution for the initial networking promlem. I had to reinstall the OS.

/Klaus

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:50 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2016 6:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Klaus,

Have you updated the NIC driver?

>>How can I reset the netadapter to at least the state it was before?

Have you tried to delete the virtual switch and recreate?

Or, have you tried to manaually configure the old settings?

Besides, considering Server 2016 TP is a preview version, some features may not work properly.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 7:58 AM
  • Leo,

I have tried to recreate the switch but it did fail:

--------

New-VMSwitch : Failed while adding virtual Ethernet switch connections.

External Ethernet adapter 'Intel(R) I350 Gigabit Network Connection' is not enabled or not functional.

--------

I cannot configure the old settings because the adapter still misses its settings container:

--------

New-NetIPAddress : Element not found.

At line:1 char:1
    + New-NetIPAddress -InterfaceIndex 5 -IPAddress 10.20.30.40 -PrefixLeng ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (MSFT_NetIPAddress:ROOT/StandardCimv2/MSFT_NetIPAddress) [New-NetIPAddre
       ss], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Windows System Error 1168,New-NetIPAddress

---------

i dont really know how to update the nic driver, so i did not try that.

/Klaus

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:58 PM
  • To update drivers, you need to have the drivers available to the system.  Then issue this command:

pnputil -i -a <location><drivername>.inf

<location> is the drive letter and directory where the .cat, .inf, and .sys files for the driver are located.  <drivername> is the name of the .inf file.

Might be simpler to rebuild the system rather than much around too much with it.  I've seen some posts of some things that are broken in regards to networking on TP4, so trying to fix it might just make it worse.  I seem to recall seeing in TP4 that the IP settings were lost when a virtual switch is created on a physical NIC.  This behavior is the same as 2008 was, but different from 2012.  2012 did retain the settings for the created virtual NIC.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Thursday, February 18, 2016 8:44 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Klaus Köhler Friday, February 19, 2016 6:47 AM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:59 PM
  • thank you Tim, however, it did not help.

I was actually trying to find out whether remote management of hyper-v server has improved, but i still couldn't remotely manage the hyper-v server from a win10 workstation.

So i am going to reinstall the gui version to evaluate other features of 2016.

/Klaus

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:28 AM
  • You should be able to remotely manage 2016 from the latest Windows 10 build - I'm doing it in my lab.  However, there are still some older GUI applications that have not been upgraded to support remote management - device manager being one of them.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:16 PM
  • Tim,

interesting, you've got hyper-v remote administration working?

With Win10 I can use remotely

- Server Manager

- Computer Management (excluding device manager)

- Powershell

but I cannot use Hyper-V.

I can, however, remotely manage Hyper-V from another Win 2016 preview server.

I might have to add, the Hyper-V Server is *not* member of a domain.

/Klaus

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 5:07 PM
  • You have to have version synchronicity between Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10. If you are not running with the latest release of Windows 10, you may have problems with remote management. And, if your computers are not part of the same domain, that simply means you have to set up more things to get remote management working. I place almost everything into domains so I don't play much with no-domain machines.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:17 PM
  • Well, the requirement to have the same version already sucks if you want to manage different host versions  but if you really have to have the same built in order to manage a hyper-v server remotely, i'll stick with vmware.

/Klaus

Saturday, February 6, 2016 1:11 PM
  • "the requirement to have the same version already sucks if you want to manage different host versions"

They don't have to have the same version, but you must have a version that understands the other version.  In other words, the latest version of Windows 10 can manage Windows Server 2016 and earlier versions, but the earliest version of Windows 10 has known problems with Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016.  This makes sense because it is pretty hard for an earlier version to understand changes that were made after it was released.

Saturday, February 6, 2016 2:21 PM
  • Well, I do understand that the software must be compatible, however, in Win10 this is an extra download anyway, why can't I have that extra download with all tools for Win7, Win8, and Win8.1?

In addition, remote Management of the Win2016 Hyper-v from a Win2012 R2 Server works!

It's just the client version of the remote Management tools that don't work

Anyway, I am kidnapping my own thread, to finish things off, there was no solution for the initial networking promlem. I had to reinstall the OS.

/Klaus

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:50 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2016 6:47 AM
  • Hi Klaus,

>>there was no solution for the initial networking promlem. I had to reinstall the OS.

Thanks for your sharing.

>>Well, I do understand that the software must be compatible, however, in Win10 this is an extra download anyway, why can't I have that extra download with all tools for Win7, Win8, and Win8.1?

You could post in Windows 10 forum to discuss the problem:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:34 AM