none
PXE boot no longer working - blank cmd windows shown. If run Scripts/Litetouch file from target machine wizards runs as expected?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, My MDT server no longer works as expected via PXE boot. After the target machine loads the .wim file an empty command windows is shown. I have returned the custom settings.ini and bootstrap files to default and ensured nothing is being skipped within the task sequence within both files in hope of viewing the wizard.

However from the same target machine if I map drive to my Deploymentshare/Scripts directory and run LiteTouch file I am asked for domain credentials and the Deployment wizard is displayed asking for task sequence to be selected.

I believe this error is a result of two things:

1) I applied some windows updates to my mdt server (running on 2008 r2).

2) I was implementing changes to ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf   which i have now returned to default settings. 

I have also regenerated boot images and re added to WDS.

Any help much appreciated?

Regards,

Paul 

Thursday, March 5, 2015 11:39 AM

Answers

• FYI I have fixed the issue. McAfee VirusScan Access Protection was interfering with my deployments. After disabling all works as expected. Thanks Paul
    • Marked as answer by WYNN1234 Friday, March 6, 2015 11:08 AM
    Friday, March 6, 2015 11:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

This sounds familiar; I only encounter this behaviour with certain kinds of laptops (Latitude E65x0) but I usually just provide the "wpeutil reboot" command in the empty command window to keep things going. All other hardware is deployed with the same task sequence and this behaviour does not occur anywhere else...

A bit obvious maybe, but did you check if there is still a "Next Phase" step present and enabled following directly after the "Install Operating System" step? 

Thursday, March 5, 2015 12:49 PM
  • I may have misread your question: do you mean the ref-install.wim is never applied in the first place? So PXE provides the boot image, and no wizard appears?
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for responding. After selecting F12 on target machine to initiate network boot the Litetouch_86.wim file loads as expected. After loading however I am presented with a blank cmd windows. Don't believe anything is installing after the original .wim file from WDS is loaded and not sure why.

Rgds,

Paul

• Edited by WYNN1234 Thursday, March 5, 2015 1:59 PM
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 1:57 PM
  • FYI I have fixed the issue. McAfee VirusScan Access Protection was interfering with my deployments. After disabling all works as expected. Thanks Paul
    • Marked as answer by WYNN1234 Friday, March 6, 2015 11:08 AM
    Friday, March 6, 2015 11:08 AM