Application Virtualization Client Trouble RRS feed

• Question

• I am running APP-V 4.5 on a virtual server, sequencer on another. I can easily sequence applications and import them into the management console however, when I log onto a client machine I don't see any icons anywhere. I launched the application virtualization client console on a client machine in c:\program and attempted to connect to the server and load it and kept getting warnings Event ID: 3017, and 3210. I also attempted to running the app by crossing to the \\management server\content directory but received error code: 4505cd-1690150a-20000194

it seems that clients are having communication issues with the management server. the content folder is shared and full control permission is assigned to everyone. I can also telnet to the management server using port 554 however the clients machines cannot load the OSD:

{tid=61C:usr=test}
    Could not load OSD file C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center App Virt Management Server\App Virt Management Server\content\PowerPoint\Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 12.0.4518.1014.osd

what is wrong with this picture?
    thanks,

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:00 PM

Answers

• byounessian said:

Thanks, I changed both Paths and now do see the icons on the client’s machines :) however when I try to open the applications I get: The package requested could not be found in the system data store or the files associated with this package Error: 4505CD-1690150A-20000195.

Go to Packages -node in management console, and then expand your package under that node. There's versions listed in the middle pane, together with relative paths to the SFT file. This relative path is starting from content directory itself (e.g. should say something like "word/Word Package.sft" for package that's in subdirectory called "word" in content directory). You can double-click that line that says the path and modify it, if necessary.

btw, if you want to see where from server tries to find package being requested (when it cannot find it), look inside server's log file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center App Virt Management Server\App Virt Management Server\logs\sft-server.log.

/Kalle
    • Marked as answer by byounessian Monday, March 23, 2009 7:14 PM
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Kalle,

It worked well. thanks for the info

Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hello,

First of all, the issue you have for icons not appearing is because of your OSD paths - and most likely ICO paths too - pointing to absolute directory path on your App-V server (C:\Program Files ...), which is not valid for the client. Client gets this path from the server during application refresh and then tries to use it to fetch OSD and ICO files, therefore the path needs to be specified as HTTP or UNC which are the two supported methods. So change it to something like \\management server\content\PowerPoint\Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 12.0.4518.1014.osd and you should be good on that front. You define this path in the management console, if you take System Options (from almost the topmost node on left), you can set default content path (e.g. \\management server\content\) which then will be automatically used during package import so that your OSD and ICO paths will go correctly.

Second issue, judging from your talk about RTSP (i.e. non-secure version of the streaming), is that you have used RTSPS and port 322 during Sequencing as those are the defaults. But if you don't have secure streaming enabled (no certificate installed for Management Server), you have to change those two to rtsp and 554. Try editing your OSD file(s) and make this modification to CODEBASE -element's HREF -line, after which you can try again.

br,
    Kalle
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Thanks, I changed both Paths and now do see the icons on the client’s machines :) however when I try to open the applications I get: The package requested could not be found in the system data store or the files associated with this package Error: 4505CD-1690150A-20000195.

I sequenced another app and made sure to select RTSP with port 554 and unchecked Enforce Security Descriptors but getting the same error when I attempt to open it.  here is the contents of the OSD: 

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <SOFTPKG GUID="75A3A9A9-DB23-4589-A49A-E998406A5A76" NAME="Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003" VERSION="11.0.6506.0">
     <IMPLEMENTATION>
      <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://ManagementServer.MyDomain.net:554/word/Word Package.sft" originalAttribute="HREF" originalPath="RTSP://ManagementServer.MyDomain.net:554/word/Word Package.sft" originalAttribute="HREF" originalPath="RTSP://ManagementServer.MyServer.net:554/word/Word Package.sft" GUID="8896E959-6965-47F3-A444-1D4D8E2D81FC" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="MSWord\office\OFFICE11\WORDVIEW.EXE" SYSGUARDFILE="MSWord\osguard.cp" SIZE="24486543"/>
      <WORKINGDIR/>
      <VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
       <ENVLIST/>
      </VIRTUALENV>
      <VM VALUE="Win32">
       <SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows"/>
      </VM>
      <OS VALUE="Win2003Svr"/>
      <OS VALUE="Win2003TS"/>
      <OS VALUE="Win2008Svr"/>
      <OS VALUE="Win2008TS"/>
      <OS VALUE="WinVista"/>
      <OS VALUE="WinXP"/>
     </IMPLEMENTATION>
     <DEPENDENCY>
      <CLIENTVERSION VERSION="4.5.0.0"/>
     </DEPENDENCY>
     <PACKAGE NAME="MSWord"/>
     <ABSTRACT/>
     <MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
      <SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_PROGRAMS%" FILENAME="Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Word Package Icons/Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003 11.0.6506.0.ico"/>
     </MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
     <MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
      <PROGIDLIST/>
      <FILEEXTENSIONLIST/>
     </MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    </SOFTPKG>

I actually tried it with different executable applications such as NotePad++ and getting same error. Is there anything else I am missing?

Bobby

Friday, January 2, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Hi Byounessian,

When you first installed the Application Virtualization Server did you accept the default location of the content folder?

regards,

Kevin.
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 2:55 AM
  • byounessian said:

Thanks, I changed both Paths and now do see the icons on the client’s machines :) however when I try to open the applications I get: The package requested could not be found in the system data store or the files associated with this package Error: 4505CD-1690150A-20000195.

Go to Packages -node in management console, and then expand your package under that node. There's versions listed in the middle pane, together with relative paths to the SFT file. This relative path is starting from content directory itself (e.g. should say something like "word/Word Package.sft" for package that's in subdirectory called "word" in content directory). You can double-click that line that says the path and modify it, if necessary.

btw, if you want to see where from server tries to find package being requested (when it cannot find it), look inside server's log file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center App Virt Management Server\App Virt Management Server\logs\sft-server.log.

/Kalle
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 12:54 PM
  •  

humm,

in the console, I see Word Package_Package. I see word/Word Package.sft when I double click on the version (1) icon

in the sft-server.logs i see: 

[2009-01-05 10:06:53.520] ManagementServer 3976 2308 SW_Server::GetSite - Anonymous UNAUTHENTICATED word/Word%20Package.sft 4 44817 "Provider not found: [anonymous].

I also see Word Package.sft whithin: C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center App Virt Management Server\App Virt Management Server\content\WordViewer

I don't see anything wrong. am i missing something?

• Proposed as answer by z3ratul Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:05 AM
    Monday, January 5, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Kalle,

It worked well. thanks for the info

Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:53 PM
  • You're welcome.

br,
    Kalle
    Monday, March 23, 2009 7:21 PM