[Outlook 2013] temporary mailbox recurring problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having a recurring error with Outlook 2013 with a user. All other users have the same exact setup: switch from SBS2011 exchange to office365. Removed office 2007 and switched to Office 2013. All have roaming profiles and folder redirection.

With this one user he can log in fine, open outlook and create a profile to connect to office365. Everything works fine for the day. He can reboot the client, logoff and loggon and open outlook without any issue. The problems start when the user tries to open outlook the next day. It opens with the error "temporary mailbox". The only solution is to 1: delete the outlook profile, 2 delete the whole appdata/local/microsoft/outlook folder, 3: delete the roaming profile on the pc and server to start from scratch or 4: remove the old outlook profile and create new profile and name it "office365 instead of outlook". 

In each of these situations the next day: the error is back. I'm puzzeld as to why. Since the user can reboot, logoff and loggin without issue the entire day. The only thing that runs at night is a: backup for all the documents and profiles located on the server. I even made a manual backup during the day and the problem stays away. Yet, when the user loggon the next day: tada it's back.

I really hope someone has had this behavior (and a solution for it) because I'm out of idea's. 

• Edited by ShaneV789 Friday, June 26, 2015 8:00 AM
    Friday, June 26, 2015 8:00 AM

Answers

• I have disabled the roaming profile and made it local. That solved the problem. For some unkown reason the profile gets corrupted overnight.
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Monday, July 6, 2015 9:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is "temporary mailbox" the entire error message you got? If not, please provide the entire error message to us so that we can fix the issue more efficiently.

Does OWA work fine during the error?

Based on my research, the "temporary mailbox" error can happen if the mail profile is corrupt. Since it can be fixed by recreating a new mail profile, I guess something keeps corrupting the mail profile after rebooting. Have you tried temporarily disable the antivirus and then test the issue again?

In addition, can you reproduce this issue if we start Outlook in safe mode? Press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and press Enter.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 29, 2015 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

Is "temporary mailbox" the entire error message you got? If not, please provide the entire error message to us so that we can fix the issue more efficiently.

Does OWA work fine during the error?

Based on my research, the "temporary mailbox" error can happen if the mail profile is corrupt. Since it can be fixed by recreating a new mail profile, I guess something keeps corrupting the mail profile after rebooting. Have you tried temporarily disable the antivirus and then test the issue again?

In addition, can you reproduce this issue if we start Outlook in safe mode? Press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and press Enter.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Hello,

This forum is not letting me post a link or image. So I'm typing the error in full below:

Your mailbox has been temporarily moved on Microsoft Exchange server. A temporary mailbox exists, but might not have all of your previous data.

You can connect to the temporary mailbox or work offline with all of your old data. If you choose to work with your old data, you cannot send or receive e-mail messages.

I have since removed the profile from roaming (not folder redirection, that is still active). That does seem to solve the problem. Like I said: the user can reboot his pc, log on and off as much as one wants during the day. It's the next day when the user logs on the error is there.

I'm unable to find why this is happening.

Monday, June 29, 2015 10:46 AM
  • Try configuring end user's profile on different system and check if you are seeing the same behaviour

if yes then it is a mailbox corruption from Exchange server

Monday, June 29, 2015 1:06 PM
  • I have disabled the roaming profile and made it local. That solved the problem. For some unkown reason the profile gets corrupted overnight.
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Monday, July 6, 2015 9:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:34 PM