infopath 2010 cannot access data connection published to data connection library by infopath 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I used infopath 2010 to publish a data connection to access an existing SharePoint 2010 list.  The data connection was loaded into a DCL I created without error.  When I attempt to use InfoPath 2010 to modify a new form to use this data connection, I am prompted to authenticate and my authentication is rejected (keeps asking me to authenticate (login window keeps popping up)).

The data connection library and the list in question are in the same site and I have administrative rights to the site collection containing them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Paul
    Monday, January 16, 2012 3:17 PM

Answers

• Hi pgtaviator,

Like Clayton, I have not seen this behavior either. I have tested with a couple of general users (with only contribute permissions to my site) and still unable to reproduce the issue.

Are you familiar with the "Fiddler" (http://www.fiddler2.com) network tracing tool? InfoPath uses the HTTP (or HTTPS in an SSL scenario) protocol to access the SharePoint site. Getting a Fiddler trace from your client machine while you try to access that UDCX file may shed some light on why you are getting prompted for credentials.

I assume that if you just "cancel" the authentication prompt that you cannot continue on - correct?

Also - I want to confirm the information from Clayton: having multiple data connections access the same list is not an issue. So based on the information you have provided, this should all work without issue.

Regards,

Scott Heim - Microsoft Office InfoPath Online Community Support

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:46 PM
  • I am sorry. I will do it. Thank you very much.

Thanks & Regards Raj
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.
    I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:52 AM
  • Hi Emir,

Thank you for your reply to my question.  If there are any questions I can answer, please let me know!

Paul

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:21 PM
    1. Did you go check in, approve, and publish the UDC after creating it?  DCLs always have content approval turned on and require extra steps to make data connections accessible
    2. Is the UDC stuck in checked-out mode due to not having a Title?  If so, save it down to your desktop, delete it from the DCL, and then re-upload it while making sure it has all required metadata.
    3. Are you trying to access the UDC from a different site collection or web app?

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:29 AM
  • Hi Clayton,

My response to your questions.

1. Did you go check in, approve, and publish the UDC after creating it?  DCLs always have content approval turned on and require extra steps to make data connections accessible

I recall approving and checking in, but not publishing.  I didn't see anything related to that in the DCL realm.  What I was trying to do seemed feasible although unorthodox (for sharepoint) in that I was trying to use a data connection to filter data for a column in a form that was being populated by the default data connection with BOTH data connections reading from the same list.  Some have suggested this is technically not possible so at this point, I've accepted that SP cannot support this methodology and I've backed out of trying to meet my customers requirements via this mechanism (which is why I used the term "recall" earlier.  My example has been deleted but could easily be recreated if what I'm trying to do is possible).

It would be useful to know if having a form using 2 DC reading from a single list is indeed supported (or not).

1. Is the UDC stuck in checked-out mode due to not having a Title?  If so, save it down to your desktop, delete it from the DCL, and then re-upload it while making sure it has all required metadata.

This did not appear to be the case

1. Are you trying to access the UDC from a different site collection or web app?

No.  Everything is in the same site collection and web.

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Sure, two data connections from the same source isn't a problem.  I do that all the time - not sure why that would be an issue.  I don't know what you're talking about in terms of using them to filter, but there is no problem with making multiple data connections pointing to the same list.

If none of the 3 questions I asked led to an answer, then I really am out of ideas.  I've never experienced what you're describing - except when one of those 3 things was awry - and I use InfoPath for everything I do (always with UDCs, too).

Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:29 AM
  • Hi pgtaviator,

Like Clayton, I have not seen this behavior either. I have tested with a couple of general users (with only contribute permissions to my site) and still unable to reproduce the issue.

Are you familiar with the "Fiddler" (http://www.fiddler2.com) network tracing tool? InfoPath uses the HTTP (or HTTPS in an SSL scenario) protocol to access the SharePoint site. Getting a Fiddler trace from your client machine while you try to access that UDCX file may shed some light on why you are getting prompted for credentials.

I assume that if you just "cancel" the authentication prompt that you cannot continue on - correct?

Also - I want to confirm the information from Clayton: having multiple data connections access the same list is not an issue. So based on the information you have provided, this should all work without issue.

Regards,

Scott Heim - Microsoft Office InfoPath Online Community Support

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Hi Clayton

Can we create and use connection library for data connections in sub site (not root site collection)? I heard, eaither we can have it in central admin or any root site collection. Please help me out. my client requirement is to not keep any thing related to infopath (form library, connection library etc.,) in root site collection and want it to have them in some sub site. Also, when he moves the sub site to any other sub site location, infopath should work as usual. can it be possible?

Thanks & Regards Raj

• Edited by RajKumarBathula Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:57 AM typo mistake
    • Edited by Clayton Cobb Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:22 AM Removed extra space
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Raj, please ask your separate question in a new thread.  Thank you.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:22 AM
  • I am sorry. I will do it. Thank you very much.

Thanks & Regards Raj
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:28 PM