Windows Backup and Scheduler - don't like each other RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Prof. 

When we setup Backup first time, am not sure if within Task Scheduler one task named  'WindowsAutomaticbackup' is created or its by default there and simply enabled with user specified time on first usage.

But in any case if you go and edit the trigger e.g. change the time, add another time trigger to this scheduled task, next time you go to Backup Screen - it shows that 'backup hasn't been setup' - it defaults back as such backup was never setup, its a fresh machine. 

Now try to setup the backup again, it will recognize the device and start backing up if you want. But go back to scheduled task - and you will that the task 'WindowsAutomaticBackup' MISSING :(

I don't what I am missing here - if they are same thing then both screen shall show me the same content (time etc), if they are different, setting them should not change anything on other side. So far I don't find a common ground. Please guide me. All I was trying to do was change 'WindowsAutomaticBackup' to wakeup on a certain time (and backup), I ended up with setting backup again from Backup/restore screen.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Your issue maybe occur if your OS can't remember your backup statue. You can try the following steps to fix your issue.

1. Navigate to the following entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\Status

2. Right click WindowsBackup in the left pane, and click "Export", under Export, and select "Desktop" in the Save in box and type "backup" as the File Name. Click "Save". 

Note: If any unexpected issue happens, we can restore the registry key simply by double-clicking the backup.reg file. Once we have completed the troubleshooting and the issue has been resolved we can delete this file.

3. Right click the Status entry in the left pane, and choose delete, and click yes to confirm. 

4. Restart your computer and test again.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:59 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 10:00 AM