Migration Softgrid 3.2 to version 4.2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I'm currently troubleshooting a unstable softgrid enviroment at a customers site. Both the sql backend as the softgrid server seems to require reboots on a daily basis causing citrix enviroment problems.

Somehow the citrix enviroment also doesnt seem to function in "mobile mode", so i'm looking for a better solution here.

Since I cannot download version 4.5 yet, I have installed a new server with sql 2005, and another with softgrid version 4.2.

Now all went well, but I'm stuck here with a new empty 4.2 softgrid server and need to come up with a method to transfer the current packages to this new server.

When I simple import a package, and change the servername inside the osd's, and also change the softgrid server IP inside the softgrid clients on the terminal server to point to the new softgrid server, it doesnt work and i receive errors.

What is the best way to go, to sort of silently migrate form a 3.2 to a 4.2 server?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:56 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

Sorry for the late response but I wanted to let you know it all worked out. We installed a new 4.2 server, with new database. Manually imported the old sequences into the new server. Out of 50 packages there were like 2 which we had to re-sequence.

After all was tested we simple forwarded the old dns server name to the new server and it worked like a charm.

Thanks once again,

Cheers

• Marked as answer by R Stevens Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:50 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:40 AM

All replies

• Im having the same problem! I'm a bit on distress Smile The current softgrid 3.2 server keeps rebooting and im still not sure how to migrate.. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Smile Thanks guys.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:22 AM

• Well the short answer is: Fastes would be to remove the old server from AD, shut it down and build a new one with the same name and IP address...

IMPORTANT:
    - Wait some days until others have replied to my suggestions - to eleminate Errors I might have made
    - Perform all the steps in a TEST-Environment first !
    - Perform all the steps again in another test environment to get used to them...

BETTER:
    - Hire an Expert: Depending on your Location I am sure there are some companies that might help you to solve your issues. They even might be able to find he reason for your problems (and not simply "make it new and see what happens").

If you do not want to post your location here, you could send me a private message.

For a side-by-side scenario (quite some work to do):

- Install the new Server with a new, independant database and a new Content Folder
    - copy everything from the old Content folder to the new content folder
    - If you have explicit Servernames in the OSDs: repalce the old Servername with the New Servername in every OSD
    - If you uses a Variable (%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%) in the OSDs you have a first choice
    1a - replace SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER with SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER_NEW or so
    1b - leave it as it is
    both options need adjsutments on the Client

- On the new Server, open the SoftGrid Management Console and connect to the SoftGrid Management (Web) Service (Localhost or New_Servername)

- In the Server MMC. open the Default App and modify the OSD and ICO path so that it points to the right (new) content folder

- Verify that a TEST-Client (or TEST-Terminal Server) can access the file using exactly the string that can be found in the Default App's Application Record

- When connected, Riight-Click on the Web-Service-name in the MMC-Tree (New_Servername or Localhost),l select "System Options" and enter the realtive path to your New Content directroy (the same realtive path that you entered before "DefaultApp.ico or OSD"

- On a TEST client, install the approproate SoftGrid Client, let it point to the new server and see if Default App appears and launches

- Import one of the Applications into the new server (the new location should already be present in its OSD files..)

- Test, if it appears and launches on the Client.
    If you've been using the SFT_ variable, make sure it is set properly on the client and the client was rebooted

- Test with other Apps if they appear and launch on the Client

If that works, take one (!) of your former Clients that you do not need any longer, remove all the exisitng apps (unload / clear / remove) and change the Desktop Configuration Server Name/IP-Adress there, reboot it

- Log on and see if the Default Application and the other (new) applications appear, Launch the Default Application and some other applications.
    If only the Default Application launches, you may have to adjust the SFT_ variable

Is that it ? No, it is not, This is just a high-level overview. It would be to complex for this forum (at least for me) to point out every Breakpoint/Milestone where to check things, make Backup copies, ask Users for patience.

Again, my recommendation is: Hire an expert from a Consulting Company :-)

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:39 PM
  • Hi there,

Sorry for the late response but I wanted to let you know it all worked out. We installed a new 4.2 server, with new database. Manually imported the old sequences into the new server. Out of 50 packages there were like 2 which we had to re-sequence.

After all was tested we simple forwarded the old dns server name to the new server and it worked like a charm.

Thanks once again,

Cheers

• Marked as answer by R Stevens Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:50 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:40 AM