Give others access to edit User Profiles RRS feed

• Question

• How can I give others access to modify User Profiles without giving them permission to edit anything else in Central Admin?

I need some of the administrative staff at our organisation to be able to log in and update profiles of office staff members. I remember once reading that this could be done in MOSS by giving staff access to the user profile application, but I can't seem to find anything for SharePoint 2010.

Can somebody talk me through how to set up the permissions for this? I don't want to accidentally give somebody more access rights than they should have.

Thanks.

Friday, August 26, 2011 6:40 AM

Answers

• Hi andreasbbbbb,

you can give a user permissions to a service application by accessing the administrators menu for that app in the ribbon and giving the person the manage profiles permission.

To do so go to central administration->manage service applications-> click on the row with your user profile service application (but not on the title since you will access it hat way)->in the ribbon click on administrators->type the userid and click resolve->add manage profiles permissions->click ok

If the user gets a 401.2 you should have a look at this http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/sharepoint2010setup/thread/f92860d5-cba0-4ea6-bb80-dc2c6133e208

Friday, August 26, 2011 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi andreasbbbbb,

you can give a user permissions to a service application by accessing the administrators menu for that app in the ribbon and giving the person the manage profiles permission.

To do so go to central administration->manage service applications-> click on the row with your user profile service application (but not on the title since you will access it hat way)->in the ribbon click on administrators->type the userid and click resolve->add manage profiles permissions->click ok

If the user gets a 401.2 you should have a look at this http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/sharepoint2010setup/thread/f92860d5-cba0-4ea6-bb80-dc2c6133e208

Friday, August 26, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Please be careful with this. The can still do a lot of damage! Please educate them in how to use the application.
    Check out my blog at www.jasperoosterveld.com. I post articles about OOTB SharePoint, Office 365, InfoPath, SharePoint Designer and the iPad.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 8:25 AM