Windows Sidebar not working in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My sidebar displaying all gadgets has stopped working. It displays a 'windows desktop gadgets has stopped working' icon every time I try to open it, either from the desktop or the control panel. Displays the same thing when I try to uninstall or restore it from the control panel. I haven't installed any new gadget recently. And restarting does not seem to work.

Kind Regards

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, May 14, 2011 5:10 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did it work well before?

Did you turn off UAC? If so, please take the following steps to resolve the issue:

1. Click Start, type Regedit and press Enter.
    2. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Settings

3. Create a new DWORD Value called AllowElevatedProcess, and set the value to 1.
    4. Restart the computer to test the issue.

Furthermore, try running the following command from an Administrative Command Prompt (Click Start Orb, type CMD in the search box, Right-click on CMD.EXE and select Run as Administrator).

SFC /scannow

This will run the System File Checker and verify your system files are correct.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, May 23, 2011 8:18 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did it work well before?

Did you turn off UAC? If so, please take the following steps to resolve the issue:

1. Click Start, type Regedit and press Enter.
    2. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Settings

3. Create a new DWORD Value called AllowElevatedProcess, and set the value to 1.
    4. Restart the computer to test the issue.

Furthermore, try running the following command from an Administrative Command Prompt (Click Start Orb, type CMD in the search box, Right-click on CMD.EXE and select Run as Administrator).

SFC /scannow

This will run the System File Checker and verify your system files are correct.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, May 23, 2011 8:18 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:19 AM
  • Hello Huang

I created the DWORD value and restarted my computer but the sidebar still isnt working. I tried running the system file checker but its not allowing me to run it without being an administrator.

The problem with the sidebar is the same kind of issue that internet explorer sometimes has. 'Windows Desktop Gadget has stopped working:A problem caused the prog to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available'. The only issue ofcourse is that unlike the internet explorer this doesn't work after restarting or trying to access it through the control panel.

The sidebar does appear briefly at startup but displays this sign almost instantly once the desktop is loaded.

Kind Regards

Monday, May 23, 2011 11:45 AM
  • Hi,

That issue may be caused by incompatible programs.

Please logon with Clean Boot to see if the same issue occurs. Also remove some third party tools, update the drivers of hardware.

If the issue persists, you can try to perform an in-place upgrade:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:41 AM