Windows Easy Transfer - Local machine account to Domain account RRS feed

• Question

• I recently attempted to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate a local machine account on a workstation to a domain account on a laptop.  I could not get the two computers to connect using Windows Easy Transfer.  The connection attempt would eventually time out.  I could connect every other way and I even disabled the firewall and uninstalled the AV to be sure that wasn't interfering.  Is it possible to do a local machine account to domain account transfer with Windows Easy Transfer?  IF so, how?
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you use the network drive to migrate files and settings ?  Did this issue occur to another workstation? I think there may be something wrong, because Windows Easy Transfer support the method of migrate the files and settings by the network drive. You can refer to the following steps to test the result:

1.    Locate the removable media or the network drive that contains the Windows Easy Transfer wizard files, and then double-click Migwiz.exe to start Windows Easy Transfer.

2.    If you are running any other programs, you will be prompted to close these programs. You can save your work in each program, and then close the programs individually. You can also click Close All in Windows Easy Transfer to close these programs immediately.

3.    Click Next.

4.    Click Through a network.

5.    Click Connect directly via network to start the migration.

Note Click Save to network location if you want to store the files and the settings in a file that will be loaded later. If you want to store the files and the settings on a network drive, you will be prompted to provide the path where you want to store the files and the settings.

6.    Click Everything - all user accounts, files, and program settings (recommended) to migrate all the files and the settings. If you want to determine exactly which files and settings that you want to migrate, click Only my user account, files, and program settings, or click Custom.

7.    Review the list that contains the files and the settings that you want to migrate, and then click Start. To add or to remove files or settings from the list, click Customize.

8.    Click Close after Windows Easy Transfer has completed the migration of files and settings to the destination computer.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, September 24, 2010 8:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, September 24, 2010 8:34 AM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:29 AM

All replies

• Also to add, both computers were joined to a domain.  Both had active network and internet connections.  I could access each other via every mean possible, except Windows Easy Transfer.  Both are running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

Do you use the network drive to migrate files and settings ?  Did this issue occur to another workstation? I think there may be something wrong, because Windows Easy Transfer support the method of migrate the files and settings by the network drive. You can refer to the following steps to test the result:

1.    Locate the removable media or the network drive that contains the Windows Easy Transfer wizard files, and then double-click Migwiz.exe to start Windows Easy Transfer.

2.    If you are running any other programs, you will be prompted to close these programs. You can save your work in each program, and then close the programs individually. You can also click Close All in Windows Easy Transfer to close these programs immediately.

3.    Click Next.

4.    Click Through a network.

5.    Click Connect directly via network to start the migration.

Note Click Save to network location if you want to store the files and the settings in a file that will be loaded later. If you want to store the files and the settings on a network drive, you will be prompted to provide the path where you want to store the files and the settings.

6.    Click Everything - all user accounts, files, and program settings (recommended) to migrate all the files and the settings. If you want to determine exactly which files and settings that you want to migrate, click Only my user account, files, and program settings, or click Custom.

7.    Review the list that contains the files and the settings that you want to migrate, and then click Start. To add or to remove files or settings from the list, click Customize.

8.    Click Close after Windows Easy Transfer has completed the migration of files and settings to the destination computer.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, September 24, 2010 8:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, September 24, 2010 8:34 AM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:29 AM
  • Copying and pasting the instructions won't help me, nor will marking the response as an "answer".

The reason I was unable to use Windows Easy Transfer was related to a unknown network issue at my company.

I connected the workstation and laptop together via a crossover cable and was then successfully able to complete the transfer.  So the answer is, yes it is possible to transfer a domain account to a local user account and vice versa.

• Proposed as answer by Mike J Kelly Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:15 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 3:49 PM