none
Can Only Ping Authticating DC After VPN Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

We have a couple of users that dial in with a modem and then tunnel with a VPN connection our domain. They can no longer communicate with our servers after authentication to the domain. They can only ping the authenticating domain controller but that is all. Even devices on the same subnet cannot be pinged.

During the first part (dial-up) of the connection to our network the user connects via a modem and is authenticated against a RADIUS server that sits on our ISPs network. After this first level of authentication the users can ping anything on our network. But after the next level of authentication to the domain using a VPN connection the users can no longer ping anything (except the authenticating DC) or gain access to any servers. We are not using any kind of special VPN client, simply good old Windows XP VNP network connection.

Any ideas anyone?

Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:48 PM

Answers

• Fixed it myself. The RAS couldn't see a DHCP server so it was handing out 169 addresses. Re-started the RA service and it found DHCP again and all is well.
    • Marked as answer by broonster27 Monday, May 24, 2010 2:24 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 2:24 AM

All replies

• Fixed it myself. The RAS couldn't see a DHCP server so it was handing out 169 addresses. Re-started the RA service and it found DHCP again and all is well.
    • Marked as answer by broonster27 Monday, May 24, 2010 2:24 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 2:24 AM
  • On Mon, 24 May 2010 02:24:06 +0000, broonster27 wrote:

>Fixed it myself. The RAS couldn't see a DHCP server so it was handing out 169 addresses. Re-started the RA service and it found DHCP again and all is well.

Good to hear you figured it out!

Cheers!

Ace

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003 Microsoft Certified Trainer Microsoft MVP - Directory Services This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 5:15 AM