Windows 7 Policy / Start Menu redirection RRS feed

• Question

• My DC runs Server 2003. I'm using Win7Pro 64-Bit on my client systems joined to a domain. I created a new Policy and GPO and linked the policy to the GPO. Start Menu folder is located on my WINS/DHCP server (also Server 2003). Start Menu is redirected to the folder via new policy -->(User Configuration-->Policy-->Windows Settings-->Folder Redirection-->Start Menu).

When I login for the first time on my client system, the menu redirects fine and show up. If I right-click on the Start Menu and select open, the path points to the server. If I log off and back on again, I only get up to Programs. Nothing else on the Start Menu appears. When I right-click and select open, nothing happens. If I delete the local profile created after login and restart, I get the full start menu.

I then created a folder the local system (C:\Users\Menus). I changed the folder redirection path in the policy to point to this folder on the local system. The Start Menu appears without issue even after multiple reboots.

Can you advise as to the cause of this.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, due to Start Menu structures of Windows XP and Windows 7 are different, the Group Policy Templates for Windows XP and Windows 7 are also different.

Therefore, please try the following:

1. Disable the GPO named "Remove user's folders from the Start Menu" and see how it works.

2. Use Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 to manage GPO for Windows 7.

You can also download the following Group Policy settings for your references:

Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows and Windows Server

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Jeremy_Wu Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:09 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, due to Start Menu structures of Windows XP and Windows 7 are different, the Group Policy Templates for Windows XP and Windows 7 are also different.

Therefore, please try the following:

1. Disable the GPO named "Remove user's folders from the Start Menu" and see how it works.

2. Use Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 to manage GPO for Windows 7.

You can also download the following Group Policy settings for your references:

Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows and Windows Server

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

• Proposed as answer by Jeremy_Wu Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:09 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 2:57 AM
  • Jeremy,

I tried option #1. As before, the Start Menu appeared fully on first logon. When I checked the path on the desktop, it was being redirected to the share on my DHCP server. Once I logged off and on again with the same account, the Start Menu did not show. No Programs menu either.

We are in the process of implimenting new AD servers. These will run Server 2008R2. I already have the .ADMX policies for Windows 7/2008. I'll update once fully in place.

Thanks,

Neil.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Hi Neil,

Just check if you have any update about this issue.

Regards.

Jeremy Wu

Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:51 AM