Creating Device Collections Automatically RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create device collections based off of my AD containers. I have multiple computers in different computer OU's. Would I create a Query rule that looks at the AD OU? If so what would be the query statement syntax? Thanks.
    Monday, May 6, 2013 3:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have plenty of collections that are based on OU membership, so I can verify that this method works well. Here's an example query from one of my collections:

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client 
    from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SystemOUName = "blah.something.COM/COMPUTERS - AWESOME/NO GPO"

From the design view:

Criterion type: Simple

Where: System Resource - System OU Name

Operator: is equal to

Value: Value goes here (blah.something.com/OU1/OU2 - just click the Value button and select from there)

• Edited by Mike Laughlin Monday, May 6, 2013 4:11 PM More formatting...
    • Marked as answer by awilk54 Monday, May 6, 2013 4:16 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2013 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have plenty of collections that are based on OU membership, so I can verify that this method works well. Here's an example query from one of my collections:

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client 
    from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SystemOUName = "blah.something.COM/COMPUTERS - AWESOME/NO GPO"

From the design view:

Criterion type: Simple

Where: System Resource - System OU Name

Operator: is equal to

Value: Value goes here (blah.something.com/OU1/OU2 - just click the Value button and select from there)

• Edited by Mike Laughlin Monday, May 6, 2013 4:11 PM More formatting...
    • Marked as answer by awilk54 Monday, May 6, 2013 4:16 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2013 4:09 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I have been messing around with those settings and pretty much have the same thing you posted. I will test this later on today.

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.ADSiteName = "ADSITENAME"

Monday, May 6, 2013 4:17 PM