none
KMS Activation - Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I am desperately trying to activate Windows 10 (and Office 2016) in our environment.  Our KMS host is Windows Server 2008 R2 and I have applied all the updates and KMS host and client keys to make it activate Windows 10 and Office 2016 but it's not working.  I can still activate all previous versions of Windows (Server and client) and Office against the same KMS host, so the host is alive and kicking.

My Windows 10 test machine says:

C:\windows\system32>cscript.exe %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.812
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    Activating Windows(R), Professional edition (2de67392-b7a7-462a-b1ca-108dd189f588) ...
    Error: 0xC004F074 The Software Licensing Service reported that the computer could not be activated. No Key Management Service (KMS) could be contacted. Please see the Application Event Log for additional information.

And OSPP.vbs reports the count is insufficient?!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sunday, May 1, 2016 8:33 AM

Answers

• OK, figured out I need to make the Windows 10 KMS Host key the 'active' key on the KMS host and that now activates Windows 10 clients.

But not sure about the Office insufficient count - do I need 5 or more installs of that version (i.e. 2016) or is any version of Office allowed for the count?

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Sunday, May 1, 2016 7:06 PM
    Sunday, May 1, 2016 8:57 AM
  • But not sure about the Office insufficient count - do I need 5 or more installs of that version (i.e. 2016) or is any version of Office allowed for the count?

You need 5 installs of that version. Each version of Office KMShost has it's own count, even if it's a single KMShost.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Sunday, May 1, 2016 11:08 AM

All replies

• OK, figured out I need to make the Windows 10 KMS Host key the 'active' key on the KMS host and that now activates Windows 10 clients.

But not sure about the Office insufficient count - do I need 5 or more installs of that version (i.e. 2016) or is any version of Office allowed for the count?

Sunday, May 1, 2016 8:57 AM
  • But not sure about the Office insufficient count - do I need 5 or more installs of that version (i.e. 2016) or is any version of Office allowed for the count?

You need 5 installs of that version. Each version of Office KMShost has it's own count, even if it's a single KMShost.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Sunday, May 1, 2016 11:08 AM