none
Looking for a preferred method to update HKU during MDT Deployment for Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Deploying Windows 10 through MDT 2013, I wanted to take a fresh look at our task sequence for Windows 7, weed out anything unnecessary and make updates to scripts.  Most of this task sequence was in place when I took over this position so keep that in mind as I explain this scenario.

Sprinkled throughout the task sequence I'm finding several entries for updates to HKU.  Some are with batch files and some are with vbscript. All seemingly doing the same thing where it loads  "users\default\ntuser.dat", makes a registry change then unloads hku\temp.

While these are nice and tidy in the task sequence where each one is outlined and detailed what each step is doing, I'm finding not all work on W10 and figured by now there is an easier more efficient way of doing this.

While I'm hoping I get more suggestions, I'll tip my hand I'm thinking of using ActiveSetup where I can run one script(vbs, Powershell, etc) and have all the HKU settings in one script.  This would require having the script local to the machine in a place where it won't get deleted and update HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components to create a key and point to that script.

Moving forward, if there is a future update needed in the deployment for HKU, I would add it to the script.

Any other suggestions or is this more ore less the preferred method these days?

Thanks in advance.

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, August 12, 2015 3:14 PM Move to more appropriate forum
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:47 PM

Answers

• Would a Group Policy Preference for these entries be appropriate/possible? This would remove the requirement to do them in MDT at all.

Historically I've followed the mounting the default user hive, updating the key then unloading it again though, it depends on the keys I suppose.

• Marked as answer by TedRed Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:09 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:15 PM

All replies

• Would a Group Policy Preference for these entries be appropriate/possible? This would remove the requirement to do them in MDT at all.

Historically I've followed the mounting the default user hive, updating the key then unloading it again though, it depends on the keys I suppose.

• Marked as answer by TedRed Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:09 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:15 PM
  • I have been told the method for mounting the hive and unloading was an old method, but after we had a consultant in for another engagement, they had a script ready to roll to "plug and play" the items we needed.

In powershell in a simplistic form...

$p=Start-Process-FilePath"reg.exe"-ArgumentList"LOAD HKLM\DefaultUser $reghive"-Wait-PassThru-NoNewWindow

Add any items you wish like:

$p=Start-Process-FilePath"reg.exe"-ArgumentList"ADD HKLM\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer /v ShowDriveLettersFirst /d 4 /t REG_DWORD /f"-Wait-PassThru-NoNewWindow

Then unload hive

$p=Start-Process-FilePath"reg.exe"-ArgumentList"UNLOAD HKLM\DefaultUser"-Wait-PassThru-NoNewWindow

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:16 PM
  • ActiveSetup is the key.

https://helgeklein.com/blog/2010/04/active-setup-explained/

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:02 AM
  • Yeah I converted  lot of the load/unload hive stuff to ActiveSetup in Windows 7, but when I tried to use Active Setup with Windows 10, it just didn't translate consistently. 
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:42 AM