none
Questions about split ..trying to extract 2 levels of OUs from distinguishedname RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo .. I'm still on a voyage of self-discovery to teach myself Powershell. Be kind. 

I'd like to extract two levels of OU names from a computer object's distinguished name in AD for a report. I'm getting .distinguishedname from get-adcomputer.

I have this:  

CN=COMPUTERNAME,OU=OU2,OU=OU1,OU=NOTWANTED,OU=NOTTHISEITHER,DC=FOO,DC=BAR,DC=COM

...and I'd like to pull out: 

OU1
           OU2

I'd like each assigned to its own variable. Through messing around I've been able to get a little of what I want using split:

$OU = ($blah.DistinguishedName -split ",*..=")[2,3]

This gives me both OU1 and OU2, but I can't figure out how to separate *that* into two separate values which I can assign to $OU1 & $OU2. 

Is split even the right choice, or would a regular expression be the way to go? I confess I don't really understand those yet. 

Examples would be welcome.

Thanks much. 
    LW

Lanwench ** Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. Fill in the box completely and erase any stray marks. Use only a #2 pencil.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:20 PM

Answers

• This is my preferred method because it eliminates ambiguities.

$obj=[adsi]"LDAP://$($blah.DistinguishedName)"
    $container1=[adsi]$obj.Parent
    $container2=[adsi]$ou2.Parent

$ou1=$container1.Name
    $ou2=$container2.Name

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by Lanwench Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:50 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:35 PM

All replies

• $cn,$ou1,$ou2,$extra=$blah.DistinguishedName -split ','

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:24 PM
  • This is my preferred method because it eliminates ambiguities.

$obj=[adsi]"LDAP://$($blah.DistinguishedName)"
    $container1=[adsi]$obj.Parent
    $container2=[adsi]$ou2.Parent

$ou1=$container1.Name
    $ou2=$container2.Name

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by Lanwench Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:50 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:35 PM
  • Thanks for the speedy reply, jrv. 

With your first example, it does split things out, but then I've got 

OU=OU1

OU=OU2 

(and I don't know how to get rid of the 'OU=')

With the 2nd answer, it didn't work at first, but then I realized you meant to type

$container2=[adsi]$container1.Parent

...and this all works great. Thank you!  My education proceeds apace. 

Lanwench ** Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. Use only a #2 pencil. Fill in the box completely and erase any stray marks.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:50 PM
  • $cn,$ou1,$ou2,$extra=$blah.DistinguishedName -split ','

$x,$ou1name=$ou1 -split '='

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:59 PM
  • Thanks for the speedy reply, jrv. 

With your first example, it does split things out, but then I've got 

OU=OU1

OU=OU2 

(and I don't know how to get rid of the 'OU=')

With the 2nd answer, it didn't work at first, but then I realized you meant to type

$container2=[adsi]$container1.Parent

...and this all works great. Thank you!  My education proceeds apace. 

Lanwench ** Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. Use only a #2 pencil. Fill in the box completely and erase any stray marks.

Many mysterious methods.

Isn't it spelled Apache?  Maybe you mean "in space"
    ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:01 PM
  • Nyuk. That's what you get when the liberal-arts majors go into tech!

Following your logic I figured out how to add $OU3 also. Goody.

Is it permissible to ask one more followup question in here or will I be beaten soundly? I'll risk it...

So, I can now see that although *most* of our servers have a consistent number of 'parent' OUs, some don't. Meaning, it could be one of the following...

CN=COMPUTERNAME,OU=OU3,OU=OU2,OU=OU1,OU=NOTWANTED,OU=NOTTHISEITHER,DC=FOO,DC=BAR,DC=COM
    CN=COMPUTERNAME,OU=OU2,OU=OU1,OU=NOTWANTED,OU=NOTTHISEITHER,DC=FOO,DC=BAR,DC=COM

CN=COMPUTERNAME,OU=OU1,OU=NOTWANTED,OU=NOTTHISEITHER,DC=FOO,DC=BAR,DC=COM

...and I want to see *only* the OUs that are under OU=NOTWANTED. Children, I guess. 

I tried filtering - 

$container3=[adsi]$container2.Parent | | where-object {$_ -notlike "OU=NOTWANTED" }

and that didn't work at all. No error, but I'm seeing NOTWANTED as part of my output.

What is one of the many things I am probably doing wrong? 

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:33 PM
  • Try opening a new question and ask a question. What is it that you are tying to do.  You are trying to force a complex answer out of your limited knowledge. It is better to as "How do I blah blah" and don't use any technical language or code examples. Most times what you are trying to do ha a very simple solution.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:52 PM
  • Got it! Thanks.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:00 PM