Windows Recovery Console, "Repair your computer" RRS feed

• Question

• When my Windows Vista boots I get the error:

"Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\drivers\msisadrv.kys

Info:  Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

---

My Asser computer did not ship with a "windows installation disk".  Asser sent me one, but it only scrapes the computer clean.

So I downloaded a Windows Recover Console disk from the internet.

Here's what happens:

Windows is loading files...

A Microsoft Corporation Logo appears

A Install Windows dialogue appears, and asks me to choose a Language, Time and Currency and Keyboad.

I press Next

The dialogue now displays the options:

Install now ->

What to know before installing Windows (don't buy Asser computers being #1)

Repair your computer.

---

I choose "Repair your computer".

---

A System Recovery Options Dialogue comes up with the prompt:

Select an operating system to repair and click Next.Note: This feature cannot repair operating systems earlier than Windows Vista.

<blank list>

If you do not see your operating system listed, click load drivers to load drivers for your hard disks.

---

I click Load Drivers.  (Clicking Next does nothing of value.)

---

An Add Drivers dialogue is displayed:

Insert the installation media for the device and click OK to select the driver.

---

Here is where it gets tricky.  Since Asser does not provide drivers with their computers (actually, it's a Gateway, but same thing) I do not have installation media for the device.  But, if I press OK I get to the X:\ drive which contains a crapload of driver .inf files.

---

How do I determine which .INF file to load for my Hard Disk Drive, oh Microsoft wizards?

---

My goal is to get to a command prompt that can see the C:\ drive and run chkdsk and other available tools.  This may not fix the problem, but if not I can at least restore the file that is offending and then hopefully boot again into Windows...

---

Should be simple, huh?

Friday, May 14, 2010 1:54 AM

All replies

• I too have this problem. How the heck do i repair my broken windows 7?

I don't see any operating system listed just like described above.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 1:57 AM