none
Project 2010 Report Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am new to project and I'm using 2010.  I have created a timeline full with many projects (each with multiple tasks).  I am attempting to run a report on some (not all) the projects in my timeline.  Under projects tab I then went to reports, workload and then task usage.  I thought I found the printing option I was looking for (print between specific dates) however no matter how I change these dates I still end up with the full report.  Has anyone ran into this scenario and am I missing something.

Any advice would be a huge help.  Thanks in advance.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 6:24 PM

Answers

• Dave S 360,

Okay, your last post is a bit confusing (i.e. I don't quite follow what it is saying), but at least your screenshot confirms my interpretation of your file structure. Is there a particular reason you opted for manual schedule mode? The manual schedule mode has a lot of "quirks" and is better suited for a user who already has significant experience with Project. It is best used for initial planning without resources to scope out the plan. Once the framework is in place via the manual schedule mode, it is best to then convert to auto-scheduling and create a viable working plan.

So, given the mockup in your screenshot, what is your issue again?

John

• Marked as answer by Dave S 360 Friday, October 10, 2014 7:58 PM
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 2:17 AM
  • Dave S 360,

Okay, time for another lesson in Project terminology. You do not have a master file structure, what you have is a normal hierarchy of summary lines and performance tasks. This is very easy to see if you add the Outline Level field as a column to your view. You can see it visually by the indent level but seeing the actual outline level number should help solidify it in your thinking.

So, your top level is "Design Load" with your second level being "Job Name". I'm guessing you have a major summary category called design load and then multiple second level summaries for each job name. Under each job name level (level 2) you have performance tasks (level 3). I call them performance tasks (subtasks) because that is where the work is done. Performance tasks should have a task description with an action verb. They are the tasks that have resources assigned and are statused for progress. Performance tasks also have links to each other such that a normal sequence of events is laid out in a schedule. Summary levels 1 & 2 simply summarize data from the performance level tasks.

The part that is a little confusing is where you say you highlighted everything under Task Name and then hit "unlink" followed by a delete of what you call the "master" (i.e. top level task). What that will effectively do is to first delete any links you have between tasks and then delete your whole project file since you are deleting the top level summary level.

This is how I interpret what you have but something is obviously wrong with my interpretation since deleting the tasks in the file will result in nothing for a report or for printing. So, until I can better understand what you've really got, it will be hard for me to offer you much help. Let's try this. Can you post a screen shot of your file. A picture is worth a thousand random, or even educated, guesses. How large is your file in Kb? How many task lines? How many resources?

With regard to learning Project, it is not a particularly user friendly nor intuitive application, and if you are not familiar with project management tools and techniques, it is even more daunting. We, myself and others, normally recommend at least a 2 day hands-on class to get oriented. That can be done either in person or online. I don't really know of any books to recommend but I would think Project 2010 for dummies should be able to give you at least a basic understanding. I could be wrong. For on-line training, I'm sure there are several offerings. You might want to look into MSProjectExperts.com. They have books and training available.

John

Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:08 PM

All replies

• Dave S 360,

Are you missing something? Yes. On the print preview window under Settings, enter the specific dates for your print.

When you apply the Date Range filter, it will filter out any tasks that do not fall within the specified date range, however the print preview will still show the full project timeline. If you then select the print range, it will only show (print) those tasks, as filtered, within that range.

One more thing you should be aware of. The print preview seems to "remember" the last print preview so you may have to switch views, go to print preview, and then go back to your report. That will "clear" the old print preview.

Hope this helps.

John

• Edited by John - Project Saturday, September 20, 2014 7:35 PM correction
    Saturday, September 20, 2014 7:18 PM
  • John,

Thank you for your help.  Yes, the specific dates is what I was putting in and it was still showing the entire time line.

When you say "print range" do you mean if the entire timeline is 50 pages but I only want the first 10 as they apply to our current quarter that I just manually change the print range 1-10?  Also, does it matter if I have a "parent" for a lack of better terms for all the projects e.g. All large projects with 20 projects under that. 

I hope I'm making any sense at all.  Again, I appreciate your help.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 8:22 PM
  • Dave S 360,

When you go to File/Print either as a result of you selecting it yourself or as a result of the report selecting it for you, in the middle on the left side is Settings. That is where you select the print parameters, whether it be a date range, a page range or a combination of the two.

Now let's talk terminology. It's rather important to use standard Project terminology so that we will both be on the same page. I think what you are referring to when you say "parent" is what is called a master file. You could create a single large file with several "projects", each represented by a separate summary line, and call that a master but the standard definition of a master file in Project is a file with one or more subproject files inserted into it. There are two types of master files in Project - dynamic and static. The default is dynamic. There are a couple of ways to create a master file but the most prevalent is via Project/Insert group. Note that by default the option to "link to project" in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window is checked. That means that the master file you will be creating is a linked structure wherein each of the subproject files is NOT actually inserted into the master, rather the master simply contains a pointer to each subproject file. A linked master/subproject structure means that changes at master level are reflected in the inserted subprojects and vice versa (i.e. the structure is dynamic). However, the big downside of a linked structure is that is is prone to corruption unless the user is EXTREMELY disciplined in how the files are managed - never rename, move, overwrite, or save off any of the files in the structure and don't operate the structure over a network, remote or local. If you uncheck the link to project option when you create the master, then you will effectively be creating a whole new file made up of each of the subprojects (i.e. each subproject is copied into the master. It will be a snapshot in time of all the inserted files so it will not be dynamic but, it will also not be prone to corruption.

Does that help to clarify?

John

Sunday, September 21, 2014 2:22 AM
  • John,

It certainly does help.  I believe some of my problems are a direct function of my timeline design.  Thank you also for the terminology.

Sunday, September 21, 2014 5:16 PM
  • Dave,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. If this answers your question, please mark it as answered.

John

Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:23 PM
  • John,

I hate to continue to bother you but I'm still having the same issue with printing the reports.  Unless, I preview and manually select print page #1-#x I still get every page in the report.  This is after the date filter and also with consideration to changing views and the print preview remember the last print window.

I unlinked the tasks and deleted the master thinking that might fix my issue but it did not.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:43 PM
  • Dave S 360,

How exactly did you "unlink tasks" and delete the master? I'm always concerned when users have issues with master/subproject structures. It's so easy to corrupt the files if the process isn't done correctly.

You say you are still having issues but then you throw in a caveat about preview and manually selecting the print pages. What exactly are you saying? I don't know of a way to print without going through the preview.

John

Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:02 PM
  • Thanks for getting back with me.  I started my Gantt by typing "Design Load" under Task Name in line 1.  Then in line 2 I typed "Job Name" and by using Indent Task Right made my subproject.  I continued this for projects 3-X.  I didn't indent farther making subs in the subs rather kept the same indention as line 2.  I also filled in the rest of my data for each of the projects (duration, start, resource,etc.)  To "unlink tasks" I highlighted all Tasks under Task Name including the master and clicked "unlink tasks".  I then deleted the master.

My thought was the master was starting at my first date of data input and running through the last data input.  I thought that this was then reason when running a report that I was unable to filter the dates.

From the Gannt Chart under the project tab I then clicked reports.  I then selected "workload" and then "task usage".  This brought me to the file tab and the print preview.  When I go to settings and print specific dates it will not filter.  It doesn't if I show the dates from today - 2016 or today - tomorrow it still prints out my entire timeline.

I am so green to this program I purchased a book however our local book store did not have the book I was looking for rather it just had the Project 2010 for Dummies.  I am finding it a little difficult to work with.  I hate to continue to bother you as well so if you have a decent book or tutorials you could recommend that would be great as well.  Again, thank you for your time.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:43 PM
  • Dave S 360,

Okay, time for another lesson in Project terminology. You do not have a master file structure, what you have is a normal hierarchy of summary lines and performance tasks. This is very easy to see if you add the Outline Level field as a column to your view. You can see it visually by the indent level but seeing the actual outline level number should help solidify it in your thinking.

So, your top level is "Design Load" with your second level being "Job Name". I'm guessing you have a major summary category called design load and then multiple second level summaries for each job name. Under each job name level (level 2) you have performance tasks (level 3). I call them performance tasks (subtasks) because that is where the work is done. Performance tasks should have a task description with an action verb. They are the tasks that have resources assigned and are statused for progress. Performance tasks also have links to each other such that a normal sequence of events is laid out in a schedule. Summary levels 1 & 2 simply summarize data from the performance level tasks.

The part that is a little confusing is where you say you highlighted everything under Task Name and then hit "unlink" followed by a delete of what you call the "master" (i.e. top level task). What that will effectively do is to first delete any links you have between tasks and then delete your whole project file since you are deleting the top level summary level.

This is how I interpret what you have but something is obviously wrong with my interpretation since deleting the tasks in the file will result in nothing for a report or for printing. So, until I can better understand what you've really got, it will be hard for me to offer you much help. Let's try this. Can you post a screen shot of your file. A picture is worth a thousand random, or even educated, guesses. How large is your file in Kb? How many task lines? How many resources?

With regard to learning Project, it is not a particularly user friendly nor intuitive application, and if you are not familiar with project management tools and techniques, it is even more daunting. We, myself and others, normally recommend at least a 2 day hands-on class to get oriented. That can be done either in person or online. I don't really know of any books to recommend but I would think Project 2010 for dummies should be able to give you at least a basic understanding. I could be wrong. For on-line training, I'm sure there are several offerings. You might want to look into MSProjectExperts.com. They have books and training available.

John

Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:08 PM
  • Saturday, September 27, 2014 10:38 PM
  • John

Sorry for my response time.  I have mocked up a timeline.  I hope this helps.  You are 100% correct in your assessment of the matter.  It did want to delete all the subs.  (1) very handy fact that I omitted was the fact that I copied all the subs and pasted them after the delete- sorry.

Saturday, September 27, 2014 10:41 PM
  • Dave S 360,

Okay, your last post is a bit confusing (i.e. I don't quite follow what it is saying), but at least your screenshot confirms my interpretation of your file structure. Is there a particular reason you opted for manual schedule mode? The manual schedule mode has a lot of "quirks" and is better suited for a user who already has significant experience with Project. It is best used for initial planning without resources to scope out the plan. Once the framework is in place via the manual schedule mode, it is best to then convert to auto-scheduling and create a viable working plan.

So, given the mockup in your screenshot, what is your issue again?

John

• Marked as answer by Dave S 360 Friday, October 10, 2014 7:58 PM
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 2:17 AM