none
Cannot configure IPv6 DHCP scope RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently using Longhorn build 5472 and trying to set it up as DHCP server.  In the management console, I can create an IPv4 scope but could not find the option to add an IPv6 scope.  Does any one know what I'm doing wrong? 

Note:

1.  there is no other server roles installed; just DHCP.

2.  The server has not been joined to domain and is still in workgroup mode.

3.  NIC as static IPv6 address.

4.  Bindings shows no connection even though the NIC has a static address.

Please help.

Thanks!!!

Friday, August 18, 2006 5:02 PM

Answers

• This is expected behavior for build 5472.  The DHCPv6 support in this build of Windows Sever "Longhorn" was a Stateless Server. A stateless server only offers basic options, like configuring IPv6 address(es) for DNS servers.

We will be adding Stateful Server support, where you can define scopes and an assign addresses to clients, in a future beta release of Windows Server "Longhorn".

In the meantime, be sure to review the documentation we've posted (and continue to post) to our IPv6 TechNet site at http://www.microsoft.com/ipv6.

Thanks,
    Ian

Thursday, August 24, 2006 7:21 PM

All replies

• This is expected behavior for build 5472.  The DHCPv6 support in this build of Windows Sever "Longhorn" was a Stateless Server. A stateless server only offers basic options, like configuring IPv6 address(es) for DNS servers.

We will be adding Stateful Server support, where you can define scopes and an assign addresses to clients, in a future beta release of Windows Server "Longhorn".

In the meantime, be sure to review the documentation we've posted (and continue to post) to our IPv6 TechNet site at http://www.microsoft.com/ipv6.

Thanks,
    Ian

Thursday, August 24, 2006 7:21 PM
  •  I am using Longhorn Server With build 5384.

I am not able to configure Statefull client addresses i.e not able to configure IPv6 client addresses using DHCPv6.

Can we define Scope for IPv6 and client addresses with this Build of Longhorn Server using DHCPv6 ?

If not, Which Build version of Longhorn Server Provides that feature ?

Please Help.

Thanks

Abhicool

Thursday, August 31, 2006 3:47 AM
  • Hi Abhicool-

I almost missed your posting, so I apologize for the long delay in responding.  The support for Stateful Server support will be added in a future beta release (post-beta 2). 

Thanks,
    Ian

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 7:48 PM
  • Does this lack of 'stateful dhcpv6' support also explain why on Longhorn 5600 (August CTP) I can't get the dialog wizard to accept an IPv6 address prefix when trying to create an IPv6 reverse lookup zone in the DNS server?

That is to say, no matter what IPv6 address prefix I try, the "Next" button never becomes enabled.

Is the functionality still to be added, or can you give me an example of an IPv6 address prefix that the wizard will accept?

Thanks.

Scott Langley
    slangley@tadboise.com

Thursday, November 2, 2006 12:49 AM
  • I would be good if you creat a separate thread for DNS Server, for quick attracting of DNS experts.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 9:50 AM
  • Scott,

Use the "IPV6Address/prefixlength" format for configuring DNS reverse lookup zones.

For ex: if you want to configure for prefix "3ffe:0:0:0::", Enter the prefix as 3ffe::/64.

Monday, February 26, 2007 12:43 PM
  • hello,

is there an estimated time frame for when the stateful feature will be available?

thanks
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 5:55 PM
  • Hi,

In Beta 3 you will have the Stateful feature.

Thanks

Thursday, April 5, 2007 4:56 AM
  • I meant time of year for the beta 3 release (e.g. August 2007, early 2008..). sorry i wasn't clear.

thanks
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 10:11 AM
  • Trying to configure some v6 scopes with LHB3 and have a general question.  Anyone know if MS will allow anything other than a /64 for host addressing?  I can configure /80 (and even /96) scopes using Fedora core 6 and would like to be able to do the same thing with Windows.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 1:46 PM