Looking for clarity on .vhdx limitations/requirements/compatibility RRS feed

All replies

• VHD maximum size - 2040 GB;  VHDX maximum size - 64 TB.

Minimum size is 3 MB.

Any supported file system can be created on the VHD/VHDX.  Yes, in a Windows environment, you will generally initialize it as NTFS, but you do not have to initialize it until you assign it to the operating system that will be using it.

Not sure what you mean by point 3.  Or what you mean by your last question.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 9:37 PM
  • VHD maximum size - 2040 GB;  VHDX maximum size - 64 TB.

Minimum size is 3 MB.

Any supported file system can be created on the VHD/VHDX.  Yes, in a Windows environment, you will generally initialize it as NTFS, but you do not have to initialize it until you assign it to the operating system that will be using it.

Not sure what you mean by point 3.  Or what you mean by your last question.

Please re-read the post.
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 9:59 PM
  • Please re-read the post.

Too funny. That approach will likely go nowhere.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 10:08 PM
  • Please re-read the post.

Too funny. That approach will likely go nowhere.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Much like your own.
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 11:44 PM
  • Much like your own.

I'm not requesting assistance here. Just an observation.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 11:46 PM
  • Much like your own.

I'm not requesting assistance here.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Good for you.

What value did you add here? Do you think Microsoft wants their image associated with comments like yours? Consider taking your negativity elsewhere.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 11:54 PM
  • I read your original post multiple times before answering until I thought I understood what you were asking.  I even asked for clarification in my response. Telling me to re-read your post is not a way to provide clarification. If I didn't understand it after reading it multiple times, another reading is not likely to help.

So I again ask, please restate your question.

BTW, these posts are generally not from Microsoft but from people who volunteer their time to help with questions.  Attacking them is not a good way to receive the assistance you are looking for.

"Consider taking your negativity elsewhere. " works both ways.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:06 PM
  • I read your original post multiple times before answering until I thought I understood what you were asking.  I even asked for clarification in my response. Telling me to re-read your post is not a way to provide clarification. If I didn't understand it after reading it multiple times, another reading is not likely to help.

So I again ask, please restate your question.

BTW, these posts are generally not from Microsoft but from people who volunteer their time to help with questions.  Attacking them is not a good way to receive the assistance you are looking for.

"Consider taking your negativity elsewhere. " works both ways.

I could reiterate and/or put highlight in bold. 

I don't think you understand the technology enough otherwise you would have answered the question the first time. There isn't anything to clarify. 

Thursday, March 3, 2016 3:01 PM