none
cu 23 - File exchangeserver.msi RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone
    I am applying a CU 23 to an Exchange server 2013 that has a former CU.  After applying all the prerequisites, I got the message :
    "Another version of this product is already installed"
    So, I went add/remove programs (appwiz.cpl) and I tried to removed Exchange 2013 with not success.  Then I got the error from the attached screenshot.
    Please, could you tell me how to proceed, what to do?

Warm regards MeVs

• Edited by MeVs Saturday, December 28, 2019 4:47 AM
    Saturday, December 28, 2019 4:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the version of the Exchange 2013 at present? You can check with the following command:

Get-ExchangeServer | Format-List Name,Edition,AdminDisplayVersion

Since you didn't uninstall the Exchange 2013 successfully, does the server still work normally?

What error did you get when you try to upgrade to Exchange 2013 cu23?

Please make sure you have extended schema, and prepared AD successfully. Go to where you downloaded the Exchange 2013 cu23 installation files:

Setup.exe /PrepareSchema /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms Setup.exe /PrepareAD /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms Setup.exe /PrepareAllDomains /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

Then you can double-click the setup.exe file to install the Exchange 2013 cu23. For reference: Exchange 2013 CU23 Released

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 30, 2019 6:24 AM
  • Hi Lydia
    I have the version 15.0 (build 1178.4). Additionally, I did not remove the previous version which by the way is CU 12 and it is not longer avaible to download it (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3108023/cumulative-update-12-for-exchange-server-2013)
    When I ran commands you posted here I got several error messages:
    Setup.exe /PrepareSchema /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms
    One error was related with a previous Exchange deployment.  The error was something like:
    "An incomplete installation was detected. Run setup to complete Exchange installation:
    I open regedit and find watermark and action in the following path HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v15\ClientAccessRole and MailboxRole
    Both values I deleted (WATERMARK, ACTION)
    Setup.exe /PrepareAD /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms
    The error I got was releted with RemoteRegistry service was disabled So I enable it and continue running commands
    Setup.exe /PrepareAllDomains /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms
    At the end of the morning I've completed the 3 commands and run the installation
    In the Step 3 os 17, I got a new error message try to fin the former cU 12 install but the binary file neither longer exist nor avaiblable to download.
    Finally, I am searching through WWW try to finad a solution.
    Any help will be appreciated

Warm regards MeVs

Monday, December 30, 2019 5:03 PM
  • If you installed Exchange 2013 cu23 on Exchange 2013 cu12, and tried to remove the failed installation of Exchange 2013 cu23, the Exchange Server 2013 will be removed. You can't uninstall the package to revert to an earlier version of Exchange Server 2013.

So I'm a little confused about your description "I went add/remove programs (appwiz.cpl) and I tried to removed Exchange 2013 with not success", and "I did not remove the previous version". Did you just try to install a new Exchange server, or upgrade cu12?

Does the cu12 still works normally? I found this question you post in the forum Webhost failed to process a request EWS/Exchange.asmx autodiscover/autodiscover.xml. Is it the same Exchange 2013 cu12?

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 10:01 AM

• Hi Lydia
    Sorry for the confusion I caused.I have an Exchange server that has CU 12 applied and I want to apply CU 23.
    When I received the error message, the first thing I assumed was that I had to remove the cu 12 and that that was the problem.
    Then I observed that this was not the case and I realized that I was requesting a file from cu 12 that was not located by the installer.Is this the expected behavior?Because what I want is to apply the cumulative update.
    How I should proceed?
    I do not have the CU12 installer and can no longer be downloaded from the WWW

Warm regards MeVs

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 10:50 AM
  • Old version files should not be used when you upgrade the Exchange server. You can try to use the following command to upgrade. Locate to the cu23 setup.exe file, and run:

Setup.exe /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms /Mode:Upgrade /DomainController:dc.contoso.com

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Wednesday, January 1, 2020 9:56 AM
  • I agree with you, Lydia, that's exactly my concern because I only want to apply Exchange server 2013 CU 23.  So I will run the cmdlet you sent me and see what'll happen.

I'll tell you  the results

Warm regards MeVs

• Edited by MeVs Thursday, January 2, 2020 4:50 PM
    Thursday, January 2, 2020 2:54 PM
  • By the way, Lydia, I believe quite important to tell you that the cmdlet I ran was

setup/M:upgrade /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms 

And I think there isn't much different with the command you posted here

setup.exe /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms /Mode:Upgrade /DomainController:dc.contoso.com

For that reason, I truly think the same result will happen

Warm regards MeVs

• Edited by MeVs Thursday, January 2, 2020 6:10 PM
    Thursday, January 2, 2020 5:56 PM
  • Hi MeVs,

Was it the same error with upgrade command?

If it's convenient, please post the output of the command here, and don't forget to cover the domain name and other personal information.

Please also check the Event Viewer for any related event logs.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Monday, January 6, 2020 12:25 PM
  • Any updates so far? If you have solved your problem, could you share with us? Maybe it will help more people with similar problems. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Monday, January 13, 2020 9:46 AM
  • Old version files should not be used when you upgrade the Exchange server. You can try to use the following command to upgrade. Locate to the cu23 setup.exe file, and run:

Setup.exe /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms /Mode:Upgrade /DomainController:dc.contoso.com

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Hi Lydia

Although I used what you did to me, you know that it still showed a window related to the files of the cu13 for continuary if they are selected only there it allows to advance with the update of the cu23.
    That is, if you search for the original files before applying the files contained in cu23.

Is there any way to prevent that from happening?

Warm regards MeVs

Monday, January 13, 2020 2:43 PM
  • Did you specify the target install directory when you installed the Exchange cu12?

You can try to add /targetDir parameter in the command:

Setup.exe /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms /Mode:Upgrade /DomainController:dc.contoso.com /TargetDir:<%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\>

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:52 AM