Any way to load Easy Transfer created file back to XP? RRS feed

• Question

• Used Easy Transfer attempting to do XP to XP transfer only to find out later that Easy Transfer did not work from XP to XP.  Now I have "old computer" file created by Easy Transfer that I'd like to put back on my XP and was hoping to get some help if it is available.  I have Vista and W7 computers available.  Can I some how load files to one of these computers and then transfer back to XP?  Any help would be appreciated.
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 2:24 PM

All replies

• From what I read on the Microsoft websites about using Easy Transfer for XP, it is a one-way street.  The program is intended to export the information from XP so it can be imported into Vista or 7.  I find no references indicating you can use the XP Easy Transfer program to import any information.

I believe XP has the ability to transfer Files and Settings from one XP system to another.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Edited by Rick Dee Sunday, October 2, 2011 5:09 PM
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 5:07 PM
  •    The migration tool keeps changing its name, but the actual executable is called migwiz.exe .

If you are upgrading it is best to use the version from the "new" system, as the tool is backward compatible. If you are just saving files and settings before a re-install, run the version which is in your current OS.

I would try running whatever it is called on XP (run migwiz.exe if you can't find it), tell the tool this is your new computer and see how it goes. It should work.

Bill
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:50 PM