none
Setting up Tape Library Sharing fails on DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Environment:

• 3 DPM 2012 SP1 UR1 (4.1.3333.0) Servers
    • Each one has its own SQL Server 2012 instance. We didn't use the default SQL 2008 R2 instance but we preferred to pre-install SQL Server 2012 for DPMDB
    • The goal is to use one DPM as library server for the entire DPM farm (same configuration with DPM 2010, we stopped library sharing before upgrading to 2012)

We are setting up library sharing following the steps from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/hh758124.aspx. Executing SetSharedDpmDatabase on the first library client we receive this message:

Failed to open Registry Key Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Setup

Global Shared Database Validation Failed on xxx-xxx-DPM1 . Possible Reasons:
     [1] Incorrect instance name.
     [2] The instance does not contain database DPMDB, with schema required for Library Sharing.
     [3] Incorrect username or password.

Checking the library server "DPM1" we didn't find the regkey Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Setup, all DPM Servers use SQL 2012 so they have the regkey Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Setup.

My question: is DPM 2012 tape library sharing supported with SQL 2012?

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, DPM 2012 Sp1 does officially support SQL 2012 for DPMDB, so should also support library sharing, it sounds like a testing over site issue.  If you manually replica the Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Setup key to Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Setup, can you successfully enable library sharing or does it fail with a different error ?  It could be that you need to install SQL 2008 R2 SQL tools before it works.

In the meantime, I'll ping the DPM Product group....

Update: DPM Product Group came back with the following guidance:

If you are using DPM 2012 SP1 with SQL 2012, you will need to install SQL 2K8 R2 tools as well in the DPM server as we have some dependencies at the registry level.

Then run mofcomp.exe to re-compile a SQL .mof template to re-add the classes to WMI.

For SQL 2008 or SQL 2008 R2, from an administrative command prompt run the following command:

C:\>mofcomp "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"
    Microsoft (R) MOF Compiler Version 6.1.7600.16385
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2006. All rights reserved.
    Parsing MOF file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof
    MOF file has been successfully parsed
    Storing data in the repository...
    Done!

Then run the library sharing commands.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, DPM 2012 Sp1 does officially support SQL 2012 for DPMDB, so should also support library sharing, it sounds like a testing over site issue.  If you manually replica the Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Setup key to Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Setup, can you successfully enable library sharing or does it fail with a different error ?  It could be that you need to install SQL 2008 R2 SQL tools before it works.

In the meantime, I'll ping the DPM Product group....

Update: DPM Product Group came back with the following guidance:

If you are using DPM 2012 SP1 with SQL 2012, you will need to install SQL 2K8 R2 tools as well in the DPM server as we have some dependencies at the registry level.

Then run mofcomp.exe to re-compile a SQL .mof template to re-add the classes to WMI.

For SQL 2008 or SQL 2008 R2, from an administrative command prompt run the following command:

C:\>mofcomp "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"
    Microsoft (R) MOF Compiler Version 6.1.7600.16385
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2006. All rights reserved.
    Parsing MOF file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof
    MOF file has been successfully parsed
    Storing data in the repository...
    Done!

Then run the library sharing commands.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:37 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I solved replicating the key on the library clients. It seems to be a valid workaround to solve this issue.

Thank you

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

OK - Super, thanks for the feedback, I think that is an easier solution.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I noticed your update from the DPM Product team after applying the workaround. At this point library sharing was already configured and working.

In any case, I decided to install SQL 2K8 R2 tools and re-add the classes to WMI as you posted. Just to be in a well supported configuration.

Thanks

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Yes, Super, I'm more comfortable with that solution.  Thanks, let me know if you run into any other issues using SQL 2012 with library sharing ?

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:54 PM