OAB not working and sharing calendars - connected? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all - If I try and share a calendar within Outlook I get the message "error while preparing to send the sharing message". However if I share the same calendar within OWA it works perfectly. Autodiscover seems to test fine (apart from it trying to find the server on the subdomain http://mydomain.com - it then finds it fine on http://autodiscover.mydomain.com)

Any thoughts please everyone?

Secondly - OAB doesn't download either, I get the following error....

Task 'User@mydomain.com' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object cannot be found.'

Is this connected with my other issue?

Thanks everyone!

Michael

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:05 PM

Answers

• Version of Outlook?

If Outlook 2003, then you should check that you have a public folder store, that the public folder store is listed on the properties of the mailbox database and in the Public Folder management console that the OAB directories are listed.

The error code you have posted means cannot find, and is usually related to public folders.

If you are exclusively Outlook 2007 or higher then you can run Exchange 2010 without a public folder store, but you need to ensure that the OAB distribution is set to web only, and not public folders.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Marked as answer by _Michael Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:34 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hello Michael,

OAB issue should not be related to the shared calendar issue. You can create another thread for the OAB download issue.

Considering the shared calendar issue, I would like to ask:

1. Does this issue occur to all the users?

2. Can we always reproduce this issue or it occur randomly?

3. Is there any related event in application log on the MBX Exchange Server about the problematic user?

Since OWA works properly, I suggest we run the Outlook in Safe Mode to avoid any third-party conflictions:

a. Close Outlook.

b. Run "Outlook.exe /safe" (without the quotation marks) to start the Outlook safe mode.

c. Check if the issue persists.

Thanks,

Simon

Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:34 AM
  • Version of Outlook?

If Outlook 2003, then you should check that you have a public folder store, that the public folder store is listed on the properties of the mailbox database and in the Public Folder management console that the OAB directories are listed.

The error code you have posted means cannot find, and is usually related to public folders.

If you are exclusively Outlook 2007 or higher then you can run Exchange 2010 without a public folder store, but you need to ensure that the OAB distribution is set to web only, and not public folders.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Marked as answer by _Michael Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:34 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:08 AM
  • Sorry chaps - It's Outlook 2010 (2007 in places but I'm upgrading all older ones shortly to 2010)

Simon - Thanks for that, It was set for public and web. Have unticked the older clients (warning of v2 and v3 wouldn't work without public folders) and disabled public folder access.

I'll start another thread about my calendar issue!

Thanks again

Michael

Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:33 PM
  • Hello Michael,

OAB issue should not be related to the shared calendar issue. You can create another thread for the OAB download issue.

Considering the shared calendar issue, I would like to ask:

1. Does this issue occur to all the users?

2. Can we always reproduce this issue or it occur randomly?

3. Is there any related event in application log on the MBX Exchange Server about the problematic user?

Since OWA works properly, I suggest we run the Outlook in Safe Mode to avoid any third-party conflictions:

a. Close Outlook.

b. Run "Outlook.exe /safe" (without the quotation marks) to start the Outlook safe mode. 

c. Check if the issue persists.

Thanks,

Simon

1 - It does - all users are affected.

2 - Occurs everytime I try and share anyone's calendar. OWA shares pefectly and quickly too.

3 - I'll check and post back, but it is all users affected.

Thanks Simon - Michael

Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:36 PM