Problem on an M/B onboard 'Realtek AC'97 Audio for Via Audio Controller' RRS feed

• Question

• I installed 7RC at a desktop with a bit old M/B, Syntax SV266A, with Athelon XP 2400+, Radeon 9200LE etc.
    7RC works fine mostly, but its standard driver for 'Realtek AC'97 Audio for Via Audio Controller' does not work well with my M/B's soundchip. In the Device Manager, it shows "!" on the 'Realtek AC'97 Audio for Via Audio Controller.'

Vista had recognised it properly and soundchip functioned without problem.

I guess that the VIA soundchip had been used widely in a number of M/Bs which were on market at the same time with my M/B.
    Is this problem only for my M/B, or common in a wide variety of M/B using similar VIA audio controller?
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:42 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Please remove the sound card from Device Manager and reboot the computer to see if a proper driver will be applied.

After checking the driver download site of VIA, I found that the drivers for Windows 7 are not there. At this time, please try the Windows XP and Windows Vista drivers for the device. You may install them in Compatible Mode or by right-clicking on the driver installation package and select “Run as Administrator” to see if it works.

VIA Arena - Drivers Section

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If the issue persists, I suspect that you may contact VIA or your computer’s manufacture regarding this issue.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Here is Windows Vista support forum, if you need further investigation on this issue or you need some help in Windows 7 in the future, it is better to go to Windows 7 forum for help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Hope the issue will be resolved soon.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:43 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Please remove the sound card from Device Manager and reboot the computer to see if a proper driver will be applied.

After checking the driver download site of VIA, I found that the drivers for Windows 7 are not there. At this time, please try the Windows XP and Windows Vista drivers for the device. You may install them in Compatible Mode or by right-clicking on the driver installation package and select “Run as Administrator” to see if it works.

VIA Arena - Drivers Section

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If the issue persists, I suspect that you may contact VIA or your computer’s manufacture regarding this issue.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Here is Windows Vista support forum, if you need further investigation on this issue or you need some help in Windows 7 in the future, it is better to go to Windows 7 forum for help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Hope the issue will be resolved soon.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:43 AM
  • Hi Nicholas,

The problem was solved in the way you have suggested. The driver was successfully installed in the Compatible Mode. Many thanks!

Ken
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 3:38 PM