Context Menu Appearance Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Recently (without much activity) I noticed that the menu that appears when I right click on any of my folders, is based on the classic style.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium with Aero Theme in place. Everything was working fine but for the las two days I have been having this appearnace problem. I have tried changing the apperances and switching back to Aero but it does not work.

I have also tried system restore to see if any Windows Updates brought about the change but I have never seen System Restore work in my life!

I like the appearance that Vista offers and would like to get rid of this bug!..

The issue is:

1) When I right-click on the folders or files, I get a 'Classic" XP Styled menu with all the options which are arranged tooooo close to each other to be clearly visible and not the standard Vista style menu.

2) When I go onto a sub-menu within this XP Styled menu, then I get the sub-menu as the normal Vista style appearance.

For example, right-clicking on a media file gives me a XP styled classic menu. When I go to 'Open With" the sub-menu that appears with the various list of programs is again Vista styled.

I do not understand why this is happening but I would like to confirm if its because of the following:

1) Theres a .NET update 3.5 Service pack 1 that I have not installed on my OS since it is a long procedure although I do have 3.0 and it was all fine till 2 days back anyway.

2) I read somewhere that something called overdrawn menus can cause Vista to move back to the 'OLD' menu type but I have no idea what it means and how i can get rid of it.

Please help me with this..I am kind of obsessive with perfection!

Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks for the help in advance

Mayank

Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply. After posting this thread, I tried to do all the basic stuff and also rollback my drivers, but nothing happened. Then on one of the threads in this forum, I found something called Shell extensions (which I did not know about..pardon my computer knowledge).

One of the Norton option in the Cotenxt menu was creating a problem with the display. Once i removed it from the right click menu, my menu appearance was restored.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Cheers

Mayank
    Friday, March 20, 2009 1:15 PM

All replies

•  

Thanks for the post. Mayank, I suggest you first roll back display driver to the previous version and check the result:

1.       Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in Start Search and press Enter.

2.       Locate Display adapters.

3.       Expand it and right click on the adapter and choose "Properties".

4.       Under Driver tab, choose Roll Back Driver.

5.       After that, please restart the computer and check we can enable the style.

Meanwhile, you can post some screenshots in the post so that we can get some idea of the exact issue.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, March 20, 2009 8:45 AM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply. After posting this thread, I tried to do all the basic stuff and also rollback my drivers, but nothing happened. Then on one of the threads in this forum, I found something called Shell extensions (which I did not know about..pardon my computer knowledge).

One of the Norton option in the Cotenxt menu was creating a problem with the display. Once i removed it from the right click menu, my menu appearance was restored.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Cheers

Mayank
    Friday, March 20, 2009 1:15 PM