Cannot upgrade from windows 7 premium 32bit to windows 7 professional 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• "We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security
    permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only"

At the end of download.  Has anyone got any ideas this problem was common before? thanks

Saturday, September 4, 2010 3:55 PM

Answers

• Things are getting a bit clearer. That would have better been your initial post.

You cannot install a 64 bit version of Windows as an upgrade-in-place over any 32 bit version. I suppose that the error message is connected with that, although I don't find the error message that you're getting informative.

I've already provided a brief sketch of how you'd have to proceed to install the 64 bit version of Professional. It'll be a fair bit of work. (Every application will need to be re-installed.) Would you find that worthwhile?

• Proposed as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, September 10, 2010 8:21 AM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 9:36 PM

All replies

• I don't understand what you're trying to do.

Microsoft doesn't permit one of their 64 bit OSes to be installed as an upgrade-in-place over any 32 bit OS. No "anytime upgrade" is possible either. A custom (clean)install is possible, but I'm unfamilar with licensing restrictions on the upgrade. 

Saturday, September 4, 2010 9:19 PM
  • hi

All i know is i have a laptop with windows 7 premium 32bit built in and when i bought office academic 2010 i was given a option of upgrading to professional with 32 or 64 bit(i chose 64 bit). However when i downloaded using an email link i got : "We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security
    permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only" after download was complete and i tried to install on computer. Thanks .

Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:40 PM
  • At least one of us is confused.

Are you referring to the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Professional or Office 2010 Professional? Windows is an operating system. Office is a suite of applications software.

The 32 bit version of Office 2010 will install and run on 64 bit Windows 7. (Microsoft recommends that for most people, as some popular plugins are only available in 32 bit versions.) The 64 bit version of Office will only work with the 64 bit version of Windows. It won't magically transform 32 bit Windows to a 64 bit version.

At a guess, you're trying to install the 64 bit version of Office on your 32 bit version of Windows 7. If so, you've gotten the wrong version. Please contact the source that you downloaded the Office installer from. They should permit you to download the 32 bit version instead.

Sunday, September 5, 2010 3:21 AM
  • Hi i think the problem is that i tried to upgrade by buying windows professional 64bit to replace windows premium 32 bit ? Would this be a problem?would i have to upgrade with professional 32 bit instead of 62 bit?thanks
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 10:33 PM
  • The normal path to upgrade a Win7 installation to a higher version is an "anytime upgrade". I have read that you can use an upgrade license key to do that, but I've never done it myself.

Unfortunately, you can't do an anytime upgrade from a 32 bit version to a 64 bit version:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/upgrade-to-another-edition-of-windows-7-by-using-windows-anytime-upgrade

I don't know, but you may be able to use an existing 32 bit Windows 7 version as a qualifying OS to install Win7 Pro with an upgrade license. You'd have to do a clean install, which means that you'd have to re-install all programs. (Windows Easy Transfer could be used to save files and settings, but I usually do that manually on my systems.) In order to do that,

1) back up all of your data files (external HD is usually convenient)

2) prepare a bootable medium (DVD or USB key drive) containing the installer

3) boot the PC from that (can't launch the 64 bit installer from a 32 bit OS)

and proceed with the "custom" installation.

Would you find that worth doing?

Monday, September 6, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Hi

First of all thanks for your patience!

Windows 7 premiuim 32bit was already pre installed when i bought my laptop.  i needed word so went online to buy academic 2010. When i was shopping on the website i noticed you could buy windows 7 professional(32bit or 64 bit).  I chose 64 bit because i thought it was better in some way.  The academic installed fine but when i tried to install windows 7 professional (64 bit) i got this message:"We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security
    permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only" Thanks.

Monday, September 6, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Things are getting a bit clearer. That would have better been your initial post.

You cannot install a 64 bit version of Windows as an upgrade-in-place over any 32 bit version. I suppose that the error message is connected with that, although I don't find the error message that you're getting informative.

I've already provided a brief sketch of how you'd have to proceed to install the 64 bit version of Professional. It'll be a fair bit of work. (Every application will need to be re-installed.) Would you find that worthwhile?

• Proposed as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, September 10, 2010 8:21 AM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 9:36 PM
  • Hi,

I mangaged to get a link to download windows 7 professional 32 bit and when i get to the end of the downloading process i get told i need to up date by means of a anytime upgrade.  However i have already paid. i have a product key but dont have an anytime key? Thanks Kevin Dickson

Monday, September 13, 2010 6:40 PM
  • I have never done it, but I have read claims that the "anytime upgrade" will accept a regular upgrade key.

If you try that, please report the results back here, whether it succeeds or fails.

• Edited by bobkn Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:34 AM typo
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Hi sorry about the delay replying.  I tried inputting my product key when asked for the anytime key but had no luck.  It also says at the top that i have to "make sure to use the anytime key and not the product key" thanks.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 8:42 PM