Active Directory Site links with Bridging RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are planning to have 3 sites in our Active Directory Forest there is single forest single domain in our environment. I have read lots of articles on technet regarding sites, site links and site bridging. now i have some questions to make things clear.

Scenario 1 : i have 1 hub site and 2 branch sites in which hub site wil have windows 2008 R2 another branch site will have windows 2008 R2 and the third site will have RODC. if all sites are connected with each other with the same bandwidth available then is it necessary to create the multiple site links or default one should work.

Scenario2: i have 1 hub site and 2 branch sites in which hub site wil have windows 2008 R2 another branch site will have windows 2008 R2 and the third site will have RODC. if hub site and a site where another write able domain controller is there are connected with each other and their is no connectivity between hub site and the site where RODC is placed but a branch site and a site where RODC is placed are connected with each other in this case do i have to create 2 site links in which hub site and another branch site will be added and the second site will have RODC and another site which is connected to another branch which has write able domain controller? do i need to create the site bridge as well.

Regards,

SKHATRI
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:01 AM

Answers

• 1. If you have a direct connection between each site (i.e. mesh) with the same cost/schedule or connect via a cloud (e.g. MPLS) then you should be able to use a single site link that includes all of them. Note, however, that if you do so and rely on automatically generated connections, you essentially no longer have ability to control how the replication traffic flows (which affects how changes are propagated throughout the forest).

2. To begin with, if there is no connection between the hub site and one of branch sites - but instead that branch site is connected to another hub site, then in a three site scenario the term "hub" is a bit of misnomer.

In this case, you should create a link between two branches. You can bridge two links providng that traffic from the branch where RODC resides is routable to the hub site via the branch site (i.e. as long as RODC and the RWDC in the hub can communicate directly)

hth
    Marcin

• Proposed as answer by Awinish Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Brent Hu Friday, January 14, 2011 7:36 AM
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:45 AM