none
Issue with ADMX deployment

Question

• Hello,

I have a created a device configuration package that ingests the office16.admx file and applies some user class settings that:

• Disable autosave for word/excel/powerpoint
    • Disables the file types popup

When I deploy these to a fresh test VM they apply without issue, though the status remains 'pending' in InTune. When I attempt to add or change a setting in this configuration profile the changes are not pushed out. Attempts to send another config profile with a different ADMX ingestion have no effect.

If I revert the test VM and target both packages to the system, both will apply without issue. It seems like it takes whatever configuration is applied initially and then no more.

Are there any documents available which dictate best practices for ADMX ingestion & deployments? Does it matter if..

• the ADMX ingestion is in the same configuration profile as the OMA-URI settings?
    • ./Device and ./User settings are deployed in the same configuration profile?
    • deployments target users or devices (DDG)
    • an active deployment has 'pending' - will this block subsequent profiles being applied until it receives a status from the device?

I have read through just about every article I can find, gone through the debug logs etc but cannot find what the issue is.

TL;DR: If I have 5 profiles and apply all 5 to my fresh test VM, settings of all 5 will apply. If I revert and ensure on profiles 1 & 2 have been assigned they will apply. Assigning profiles 3, 4 & 5 to the same VM will result in nothing happening.

Please help :)

Dan

Thursday, May 16, 2019 5:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• just putting this out there as a possible alternative:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-office-cloud-policy-service

Carl Barrett | Web: carlbarrett.uk | Twitter: @CarlBarrett

• Marked as answer by _-Dan-_ Thursday, May 16, 2019 9:10 AM
    Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:50 AM
  • Hi Carl,

Big fan, thanks for your reply. That looks excellent and I will look at that asap.

In typical fashion about an hour after I posted this I found the culprit. Deploying the office16.admx file causes every other deployment to stall. Note that it doesn't fail, I can see the reg settings populate etc but any subsequent profile or setting gets blocked somehow.

I have removed the vsto section, and I did add a policy to disable the File Types popup. I'll do a bit more testing out of curiosity to see at what point it breaks but wow, super happy to be closer to an answer.

I have a full procmon trace and debug event logs that I'll check out, if I can find the exact thing I'll post back.

Thanks again for that suggestion, I wish I had known about that a week ago.

Cheers,

Dan

Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:09 AM
  • Did a bit more testing, ingesting the office16.admx file breaks something (perhaps just in my environment, I don't know). No more profiles can be rolled out after the office16.admx file has been ingested (by all accounts, successfully).

Thursday, May 16, 2019 9:10 AM