none
Cannot Edit Group Policy - Unhandled exception has occurred - 0x80070005

Question

• I cannot edit ANY of the entries in the Default Domain Policy. I can successfully open the Group Policy Management Editor for the Default Domain Policy. However, whenever I try to change any of the policies, I get the following error:

Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. 

Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)).

Clicking on Continue shows that I successfully changed the state of the policy, but closing and reopening the editor show that nothing was actually changed. Everything that I try to change gets this exact same error, and nothing stays changed. 

I've also looked at Share and Storage Management to make sure that there weren't any file locks that needed to be cleared, and there are not. Any suggestions??

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:11 PM

Answers

• You can use dcgpofix to restore it to default.

Remember that modifying the default domain policy is a very bad practice, you should create a new one and link it to the domain instead.

This post is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.
    ~~~
    Questo post non fornisce garanzie e non conferisce diritti

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:26 PM

All replies

• You can use dcgpofix to restore it to default.

Remember that modifying the default domain policy is a very bad practice, you should create a new one and link it to the domain instead.

This post is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.
    ~~~
    Questo post non fornisce garanzie e non conferisce diritti

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:26 PM
  • Agreed. That is actually why I'm trying to make the changes. I'm trying to change it back to default. I'll try this when I'm back at the server and let you know.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:09 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have any update on this issue?

We'd like to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:58 AM