none
Windows 7 does not see Windows 10 on networks RRS feed

• Question

• I have a netwworked Win 10 (trying to get woking right) and a Win 7 LapTop.

1) The Win 7 explorer does not see the Win 10 pc.
    2) If I run the command "\\NEIL" (the name of the Win 10) a Win 7 explorer opens up showing the Win 10
    3) The Win 7 is able to map drives to the Win 10 if run from a batch file and no other way.
    4) The Win 7 & 10 CAN copy files between them
    5) I have added the below to the resgisrty
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\LanmanWorkstation]
        "AllowInsecureGuestAuth"=dword:00000001

6) I turned on/off SMB 1.0.CIFS Sever 1 "Turn Window Features On or off" on the Windows 10. Rebooting each time. Windows 7 CAN SEE Window 10.

The Win 7 Explorer still does not see the Win 10.

Case #; 1478029357

• Edited by NeilSwartz Saturday, July 20, 2019 5:57 PM
    Saturday, July 20, 2019 5:55 PM

All replies

• Make sure that Windows 10 and Windows 7 are in same local network and workgroup. Check if internet security thing or firewall is blocking the discovery.If, then disable or turn off them.

I would suggest you to change to the following options for both the systems on the network in the advanced sharing settings (Open Network & Sharing Center > Change Advanced Sharing settings):

1.Turn on Network Discovery

2.Turn on file and printer sharing

3.Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders

4.Turn off password protected sharing

If required try the following again:

HomeGroup from start to finish

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Sunday, July 21, 2019 1:06 AM
  • For Windows 7 and Windows 10, you need to go to Network and Sharing Center via the Control Panel. On the left-hand side, click on Change advanced sharing settings.

Now expand the Private profile option and make sure Network Discovery is turned on along with automatic setup. Make sure file and printer sharing is on and make sure to allow Windows to manage homegroup connections.

Nour

Sunday, July 21, 2019 1:19 AM
  • Hello,

See if this fix helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-file-explorer-not-showing-network-computers

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP. 

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:22 AM
  • I have tried everything I could think of using over 30 years experience with PCs.

Yesterday Microsoft Level 2 support accessed both PC for over an hour.  They could NOT fix the problem.  The work around they came up with was to create a shortcut to \\NEIL and use that instead of the normal way. 

The problem is that no other application that can see the Windows 10. 

Thank God I can still map using a batch file.  I can live with that until I upgrade my LapTop to Win 10.

Sunday, July 21, 2019 1:52 PM
  • Hi Neil

Please open windows services.msc then find this service below on both computer start it and put it on automatic

Function Discovery Resource Publication

Mohmo

Sunday, July 21, 2019 3:00 PM