Windows 7 x64 Ultimate - Adjust for best presentation RRS feed

• Question

• For over a year I am a very happy user of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, but there is one thing I can't get to work. The sliding/fading windows. Last week I migrated my pc at work to Windows 7 and there I have those sliding windows. So I checked my performance settings at home and they are set to: Let Windows choose what's best for my computer

Which is set the same as my pc at work. I decided to switch the setting to "Adjust for best performance"  and then the sliding windows are happening too. Sadly, after rebooting my pc, the setting is still the same, but the sliding windows aren't happening anymore, until I switch the setting to something else and then it's okay for as long as my pc is on.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to solve it?

My specs are:

Antec P182 / Coolermaster Silent Pro 600W Modular / MSI MS-7512 / Core 2 Duo E8600- 3.3 Ghz - 1333 MHz / Kingston HyperX DChannel 4GB Kit - PC2-8500 / Asus EAH4870X2 - 2x1GB DDR5 / OCZ Vertex2 120 GB / WD 1 TB - 5400-7200rpm (2x) / NEC AD7203S DVD-RW / Hauppauge HVR1300
    Friday, August 12, 2011 8:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• What is the sliding windows feature? Flip 3D, Windows Snap, Aero Peek? Start=>Help and Support=>search managing multiple windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/Managing-multiple-windows

Perhaps the TV tuner drivers are the cause.

Create a new standard user and test. You can delete the user when finished.

Peform a clean boot and test. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796( No Mr. Fix It)

Friday, August 12, 2011 1:09 PM
  • What is the sliding windows feature? Flip 3D, Windows Snap, Aero Peek? Start=>Help and Support=>search managing multiple windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/Managing-multiple-windows

Perhaps the TV tuner drivers are the cause.

Create a new standard user and test. You can delete the user when finished.

Peform a clean boot and test. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796( No Mr. Fix It)

Sliding might not the best description, I mean the windows fading in and out when you start/select an application.

I will try the test with another user and test with a clean boot too.

Friday, August 12, 2011 1:30 PM
  • There should not be a fade when you open a window or launch an app-it should jump, snap or almost instantaneously appear or disappear.

You might want to run the rig on one display adapter and then go to two when it's running correctly.

There should not be anything slow. slide or fade with that hardware.

Friday, August 12, 2011 8:57 PM
  • There should not be a fade when you open a window or launch an app-it should jump, snap or almost instantaneously appear or disappear.

Of course there is.  Perhaps it's not working for you.

Basically the window shrinks and blurs slightly before going away when you close it, and opening a new one is the reverse of that.  It's kind of a neat animation when everything's working smoothly.

Sjoerd, your video card or display driver may just not be up to the job.  What card is it?  Is it more than a few years old?  Have you updated the display driver from the card maker's web site?

-Noel

Friday, August 12, 2011 10:46 PM

Of course there is.  Perhaps it's not working for you.

Basically the window shrinks and blurs slightly before going away when you close it, and opening a new one is the reverse of that.  It's kind of a neat animation when everything's working smoothly.

Sjoerd, your video card or display driver may just not be up to the job.  What card is it?  Is it more than a few years old?  Have you updated the display driver from the card maker's web site?

-Noel

My specs are in my initial posting, and the driver is the latest AMD release (11.7).

Not to brag about it, but I am an IT professional for nearly 14 years now, so I know my way around computers.

This said, just to make sure I am not some kind of newbie.

As told, I can get the window animation (or what ever people would like to call it) to work, when I switch the setting back and forward.

But only for as long as the computer stays on, as soon as I reboot it, the setting is still the same, but the window animations aren't working anymore.

While they make Windows 7 look extra special in my opinion.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:36 PM
  • I've just tried the clean boot method suggested by Nano Warp.

In the end it turned out that the Citrix 12.1 client is causing this problem.

I turned it off under Startup after starting msconfig, and the problem is gone now.

Downside is, I can now no longer use the Citrix environment of my work, which I need when I am on standby duty.

Anyway, I will report the bug at the Citrix forum.

Thanks for the help and I will mark Nano Warp his posting as answer.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:04 PM
  • If things you need to run are not compatible with your general workstation environment, you could consider creating a virtual machine, then running those "ill behaved" apps in a virtualized environment.  Personally I use VMware Workstation.

-Noel

Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Perhaps an updated version from Citrix will help. This version has a fix for Win 7 and IE9.

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX126653

Work that out.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:17 PM