Make a folder appear in the User profile RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! My question is the following.
    I moved all my personal folder of the user profile (through the location tab) to another partition. The thing is that in that partition I created a folder named 'Files' and I want that when I click in my user name under the address bar in Windows Explorer that 'Files' folder appear. Maybe it was stupid, but I tried to create a key in the registry called Files, pointing to the path I had located my folder

Can someone help me?
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:30 PM

Answers

•  Arthur Xie - MSFT wrote:

Additionally, only the user profile's shell folders can be redirected.

Well, actually, with that phrase you answered me... because what I wanted was exactly that. I wanted a folder I created to appear in my User Folder but located at another location, just like Shell Folders...

Thanks
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to explain that it is impossible. The [user name] button in the left pane of Windows Explorer points to the profile folder for your user, in C:\Users. Your profile contains not only Documents, Videos, Pictures, etc, but also other components that are in the folder AppData. This folder is hidden by default and cannot be redirected. Therefore, your expectation cannot be realized.

If you force the profile location to be another folder but not C:\Users, for example, D:\Files in lusrmgr.msc (this program is not available in Home versions), the location of the profile when you log on with that user account is still the folder C:\Users, only when you log off, the components of the profile would be saved in the folder D:\Files.

This behavior is by design for important reasons.

There is a method to completely change the profile location for all of the users from C:\Users to another. However, we must perform the steps when we install Windows Vista. The following website can be referred.

http://www.msfn.org/board/Unattended-Vista-with-Multiple-Partition-t81968.html&p=557613#entry557613

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

However, we strongly recommend that users do not try the above method to change the location. We have encountered cases that customer cannot install several Windows updates because their user profile location has been changed. That is why user profile location is recognized to be C:\Users\[username] even you set the profile location to another place.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 6:26 AM
  • Ok. Maybe my reasoning is stupid, but why is it then, that if I click in my [user name] button, the folders that I relocated with the properties->location tab continue to appear in that menu and are redirected to the correct place if I click them from the button? can't I make that happen with other folders (make them appear in the user name button, even though they aren't in my user folder -maybe like links or something like that-)? I changed the location of the Documents folder after the Vista installation, I don't want to move my whole user profile. Thanks
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 12:39 AM
  • Hi,

After we redirect the folder such as Documents, Desktop, Favorites that has folder redirection feature, its entry in the left pane under [user name] button in Windows Explorer would point to its real location. That is because system query the Registry keys in some branches as following to determine the location of the folder.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

After your manually change the location in the properties->location tab, the Registry values would be changed then. You do not need to manually change the values. After doing so, when you click on the [user name], the redirected folder would still display, but its real location has been changed.

If you manually open the folder C:\Users\[user name], you will find that the folder does not exist.

Please try and let me know if it helps.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:29 AM
  • Well, thanks anyway I tried what you said but it didn't work. I stayed with a link to the folder. That was the only way...
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:55 AM
  • Hi Wasser,

Sorry for delay.

In my last post I just would like to explain that after you redirect the folder for example, Document to D:\Document, when you click on the button [user name] and click the Document, the folder you locate will be the folder D:\Document. We do not need to change any other settings. Please check if it works on your computer.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:22 AM
  •  Arthur Xie - MSFT wrote:

Well, actually, with that phrase you answered me... because what I wanted was exactly that. I wanted a folder I created to appear in my User Folder but located at another location, just like Shell Folders...

Thanks
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:22 AM