locked
Acrobat Reader 9 IE Plug-in side by side errors RRS feed

  • Question

  • Config: WinXP SP3.  IE7 (Due to some requirements we cannot go to 8). Sequncer 4.5

    When I install Reader 9.1.2 everything is fine on the sequencer.  I can go to the web to several sites and view PDF files.  I have to add the IE shortcut that contains the Reader Plug-in and this is fine.  When executed on the client you can see the plug in there.  However, when we try to open a pdf IE hangs and we recieve Side by side errors in the System event viewer as well as a pop-up stating a problem with Acrobat Reader and to restart.  Here is the short list.

    1.  Generate Activation Context failed for R:\ARead91.V2\VFS\CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

    2.  Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.CRT.mui. Reference error message: The system cannot find the path specified.

    3.  Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AGM.dll. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

    4.  Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.CRT.mui. Reference error message: The system cannot find the path specified.

    These are the errors.  I am at a loss.  This works fine with version 8 of Reader.  I saw a post about AIR and Adobe.com being removed and the problems that person was running into going away so I will start there.

    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:29 PM

Answers

  • Hello,

    This is what I have done for sequencing Adobe Reader 9.1;
    Extract MSI
    Create MST via its customization wizard with settings.

    Verify what settings are applied as policies and create ADM, deploy this before deploying client as a GPO / GPP.

    Sequence application using default installation, and disabling whatever functionalites you want to disable (you can use the MST previously created, however the policies have to be deployed some other way..)

    Thats pretty much all I did.

    This thread discuss the same problem and using the MSI-directly seems to resolve the issue (and a more thorough explanation of why)
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/a42f7244-f28e-4b7c-ab3d-861af3218cc6

    /Znack
    • Edited by znack Friday, July 31, 2009 4:56 AM link
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, July 31, 2009 4:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by B_Keller Friday, July 31, 2009 1:23 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:57 PM

All replies

  • Hello,

    App-v 4.5 and adobe acrobat needs some Visual C++ 2005 SP1 components, and if these are caught in the sequence instead of beeing looked at natively I suppose these errors could be generated.

    Look under %WINDIR%\WinSXS when done sequencing to see whats captured...

    I haven't sequence the 9.12 but currently running a 9.1 without issues, and have a rather extensive list of whats installed natively;
    .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 + FU (+ more hotfixes)
    Visual C++ 2005 SP1
    VIsual C++ 2008 SP1
    Visual J# 1.1 / 2.0

    If something from those are captured I remove them from the sequence.

    Previously Kalle gave a tip to delete the manifests generated for (in this case) acrord32.exe (name acrord32.exe.manifest and something else?)

    Tips is to use the pure MSI-installer when packaging.

    /Znack
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Thanks for the help.

    I will take a look at all of this.  Clean up the junk and make sure all of this is installed.

    Any recipie out there for this?  I will try to come up with one if not.  At least if I can get it working.

    Thanks again

    -B
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Hello,

    This is what I have done for sequencing Adobe Reader 9.1;
    Extract MSI
    Create MST via its customization wizard with settings.

    Verify what settings are applied as policies and create ADM, deploy this before deploying client as a GPO / GPP.

    Sequence application using default installation, and disabling whatever functionalites you want to disable (you can use the MST previously created, however the policies have to be deployed some other way..)

    Thats pretty much all I did.

    This thread discuss the same problem and using the MSI-directly seems to resolve the issue (and a more thorough explanation of why)
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/a42f7244-f28e-4b7c-ab3d-861af3218cc6

    /Znack
    • Edited by znack Friday, July 31, 2009 4:56 AM link
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, July 31, 2009 4:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by B_Keller Friday, July 31, 2009 1:23 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Thanks for the help.  I have not been able to give this a run but will give it a try.  I have no control over GPO and such so I will try to slim this down and run the prereqs and the customization wizard.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 1:25 PM