none
DART in MDT 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• So I recently upgraded our MDT server from MDT 2012u1 to MDT 2013 (on a Windows Server 2012 R1), during the process I also removed ADK 8 and replaced it with ADK 8.1.

I had DART8 already installed, but I uninstalled it and made sure to reinstall DART 8 SP1 from MDOP 2013.

I also added Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 full sources from vanilla images from MS VLSC to MDT.

I do get the DART option in my boot images but I don't get the Windows Recovery Wizard and the Registry Editor, Locksmith, Comp Mgmt, etc are disabled. as it seems to be using the Windows PE WIM image from ADK and not those from the Windows 8.1 or 2012 source.

Windows PE WIM C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\en-us\winpe.wim will be used.WIM file mounted.

Is there something wrong ? Do I have to wait for the new DART/new MDOP ? (why don't those things get updated at the same time?) or is there a way to make sure it uses the WinRE from Windows 8.1 or 2012 for the boot image ?

Another question: Will DART and the Recovery Wizard on a Windows RE 5.0 boot image work for a Windows 7 installed system ?

Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:03 PM

All replies

• So I found a simple solution : I copied the boot.wim file from the Windows 8.1 CD and put in the ADK folder in place of the original winpe.wim file so it takes that file which includes the Recovery Environment anyways without having to use any detection mecanism.

It works, I now get the recovery wizard option and get all the DART tools available through the recovery wizard.

Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:29 PM
  • I did the same as you did AS-JonathanV and just now stumbled on your thread here.

I was struggling with the same issue and read tons of threads about similar issues on older versions of MDT.

I remember that everything was fine when I was using MDT 2012 u1 with ADK 8 on Windows 8

but ever since I've updated to MDT 2013, ADK 8.1 and Windows 8.1 the Litetouch WIMs generated are always using the winpe.wim from ADK instead of boot.wim from the source files

Wish this was somewhere higher on the search engines as this would save me a lot of time!

EDIT:

BTW if someone gets BSOD while doing the above method please remember to use correct boot.wim (x86/x64 Sources) in correct ADK folder (x86/amd64)

I've read people saying about getting BSOD when using x64 boot.wim on x86 boot image (which is logical and was a result of a bug in MDT some time ago) 

Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:54 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Very nice workaround you got there! Thumbs up!

Regarding the Windows 7 compatibility with DaRT 8 I will have to dissapoint you because DaRT 8 is not supporting Windows 7, it supports Windows 8/Server 2012 and Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2.

The most serious problem is that While I created a DaRT 7 disk and extracted the wim as a WinRE wim in order to incorporate it in my Windows 7 Deployments, it cannot be applied via ADK 8.1 because of a ReAgentc.exe incompatibility. (this is so dissapointing)

George Simos former MVP in Configuration Manager, MCT, MCSA, MCITP Enterprise Admin, MCTS Virtualization & ConfigMgr

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:02 PM
  • cool workaround, thanks a million!
    Monday, February 24, 2014 1:04 PM
  • I tried this and it *almost* works, I get th eRecovery Tools option on the wizard along with use Dart Tools, but I dont get prompted to authenitcate to the OS, and the tools arent available. 

Anyone help?

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 4:13 PM