Vista Home Premium, restoring from windows.old folder? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I recently reinstalled Windows Vista Home Premium onto a partition which was already running this same OS, I didn't realise it would delete all my existing programs (or back them up into the newly created windows.old folder which it created during the second installation).  Some of the programs which I have lost I am unable to recover unless I can return the laptop to run on it's previous instalation of the OS. 

I have looked through the net and found a thread which discribed how to restore to XP from Vista using the windows.old folder.  But I cannot find anything regards restoring from one installation of Vista to a previous installation of Vista using windows.old folder.

So my question is can I restore the old copy of Vista Premium and all of the programs I had which are backed up in the windows.old folder?

And how is it done if I can return the OS to the previous installation?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, June 2, 2008 5:54 PM

Answers

• Dion

You can use the steps in the following article.

How to restore a computer to a previous Windows installation after you install Windows Vista:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168

In this article, just use the commands where it says "When the previous Windows installation was a different version of Windows Vista".

You will need to print this article.

Make absolutely sure that you read the article several times before attempting this procedure to get familiar with the steps and commands.

Again, make absolutely sure that you follow the instructions very carefully.

Make sure that you disconnect any 'external' hard drives, USB memory sticks or any 'external' media components from the computer before you start the recovery.

Let us know if you need more help.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 3:26 AM
  • Thanks for directing me to that post, it worked a treat and was very easy to do/follow.  Everythings sorted now and my systems running like a dream. 

Monday, June 9, 2008 11:28 AM
  • Dion

Excellent, I'm very glad that this fixed the problem.

You can go back to my last post and mark that post with the  'Mark as answered' button at the top right side of the message. This will place it in the 'answered posts' section so others can find it quicker.

Thanks.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, June 9, 2008 8:46 PM

All replies

• Dion

You can use the steps in the following article.

How to restore a computer to a previous Windows installation after you install Windows Vista:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168

In this article, just use the commands where it says "When the previous Windows installation was a different version of Windows Vista".

You will need to print this article.

Make absolutely sure that you read the article several times before attempting this procedure to get familiar with the steps and commands.

Again, make absolutely sure that you follow the instructions very carefully.

Make sure that you disconnect any 'external' hard drives, USB memory sticks or any 'external' media components from the computer before you start the recovery.

Let us know if you need more help.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 3:26 AM
  • Thanks for directing me to that post, it worked a treat and was very easy to do/follow.  Everythings sorted now and my systems running like a dream. 

Monday, June 9, 2008 11:28 AM
  • Dion

Excellent, I'm very glad that this fixed the problem.

You can go back to my last post and mark that post with the  'Mark as answered' button at the top right side of the message. This will place it in the 'answered posts' section so others can find it quicker.

Thanks.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, June 9, 2008 8:46 PM