Installing Windows to a CD/DVD Driveless machine RRS feed

• Question

• A neighbor brought me their virus destroyed reasonably modern netbook with no CD/DVD Drive. I suggested they would need a drive to re-install windows so they went out and purchased a USB Samsung Slim External DVD Writer.

I'm working with XP, but I'm assuming it would be the same for Vista or 7. Why is it that the system can boot from the Windows installation CD (blue setup screens) using the USB external DVD Drive, but then all of a sudden wants you to specify some sort of driver to continue? S - Specify Additonal Device. I can't see where Samsung provides any "drivers" like this. I'm sure once Windows was set up, it would recognize this device instantly.

I do have an ancient USB based Floppy I could put a driver on, but what is Windows setup looking for?

Thanks a ton for any advice or suggestions.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

you may need to configure settings in BIOS to let AHCI chipset use PATA emulation mode. For more information, please visit the vendor’s support site.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:34 AM

All replies

• Is that Windows Installation CD is the one given to you when you bought your computer?

You said that the computer wanted to specify additional driver to continue.. 

I think that additional driver you need is your "SATA AHCI Controller" for your hard drive.

You can change that SATA AHCI Controller to Compatible mode in Bios and continue, or

You can go to your computer's web support page and download the AHCI driver, save it into your USB, and install.

Ryan Kim
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:45 PM
  • This is not the original Windows Installation CD and it's a third party USB DVD Drive. Shouldn't the DVD Drive Vendor (Samsung in this case) provide this?

I will check Vendors website. A good suggestion.

Thanks for the reply.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:58 PM
  • Windows XP does not include the driver for SATA AHCI by default, and USB DVD Drive has nothing to do with SATA AHCI.

It is the driver required for specific motherboard. If you can't find one from your computer vendor's website,

try to find it with your motherboard vendor webpage.

Ryan Kim
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 12:01 AM
  • The laptop Vendor was also the mobo vendor and they did have the SATA AHCI files the unit needed to continue the Windows installation.

A+ advice.

Thanks.

Thursday, December 2, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Hi,

you may need to configure settings in BIOS to let AHCI chipset use PATA emulation mode. For more information, please visit the vendor’s support site.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:34 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

Monday, December 13, 2010 7:44 AM