none
Users can't change password when required to at next login.

Question

• Hi everyone let me explain my issue. 

When a user account is created and it is then told at the next login they must change their password it notifies them that they must change their password but doesn't give an option to change the password.

The policy for the password are as follows. 

enforce pass hist 24

max pass age 47

min pass age 0

min pass length 8

pass must meet enabled

Any idea what would cause this?

It just shows a standard login box and gives the red x at the bottom and states the user must change password but doesnt provide the users the text boxes to change the password. 

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    If I understand correctly, users can’t change password from non-domain computer, am I right?
    If that is the case, please have a try making users log in to their local systems and then use Remote Desktop to a domain-joined PC they're allowed login to. On first login there they'll be able to set their own password, which they can use going forward.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by ashleyred Friday, April 7, 2017 2:03 PM
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:27 AM

All replies

• I will post a picture of the error as soon as they verify my account. 
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:39 PM
  • Hi,

I think you speak about RDS environment.

If it's true, you can't do this setting with NLA activate...

Merci de marquer comme réponse les sujets qui vous ont permis d'avancer afin que cela puisse être bénéfique aux personnes qui rencontrent le même problème.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:47 PM
  • This is when a user tries to access a share from a non domain pc and enters in the username "myusername@mydomain" with the correct password and is prompted to change password however they can not change the password. 

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:17 PM
  • Hi,
    If I understand correctly, users can’t change password from non-domain computer, am I right?
    If that is the case, please have a try making users log in to their local systems and then use Remote Desktop to a domain-joined PC they're allowed login to. On first login there they'll be able to set their own password, which they can use going forward.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by ashleyred Friday, April 7, 2017 2:03 PM
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:27 AM
  • > This is when a user tries to access a share from a non domain pc and enters in the username "myusername@mydomain" with the correct password and is prompted to change password however they can not change the password.

That's true - you cannot change the password within a NLA based connection attempt (be it RDS or SMB). The user needs to perform the pw change manually.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 1:22 PM