none
Show Overallocated Resources Bar or Column Chart by Resource and Month in MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• If anyone can provide me steps to create a Resource Chart in MS Project that would show the Resources in the Y-AXIS and Months in the X-Axis, and the Resource  Summary for each Month, I would greatly appreciate it.

The #s are related the total hours used for each Resource that I have within the MS Project. Once I have this portion in Project Schedule, I'll deal with the ones that are Overallocated on this chart.

Something like below,

<g class="gr_ gr_73 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" data-gr-id="73" id="73">hanks</g> so much for your time.

Sunday, November 25, 2018 12:41 AM

Answers

• GoMSProject,

If you tried to post a screenshot or picture it didn't come through (i.e. "something like below"). It can take some time before new users of the forum are "verified" and allowed to post images.

With regard to your question, unless there's something I'm missing in the latest versions of Project, it is not possible to graph resources on the Y-axis or the X-axis. To do that you will need to export Project data to another application, such as Excel. However, if your goal is to see total hours for each resource in a snippet of time (e.g. monthly), why not use the Task Usage or Resource Usage views? Both contain the data you want and there is no graphical interpretation. If you really need a graph, use Project's Visual Reports feature to export the data to Excel. If you export the Resource Work Summary report, you will get a graph in Excel with resources on the X-axis and resource hours on the Y-axis.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by GoMSACCESS Sunday, November 25, 2018 11:15 PM
    Sunday, November 25, 2018 6:51 PM
  • Yes, got it. The Report-Custom-More Reports, Resources option does have the selection to show the Overallocation.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by GoMSACCESS Monday, November 26, 2018 5:50 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2018 5:50 PM

All replies

• GoMSProject,

If you tried to post a screenshot or picture it didn't come through (i.e. "something like below"). It can take some time before new users of the forum are "verified" and allowed to post images.

With regard to your question, unless there's something I'm missing in the latest versions of Project, it is not possible to graph resources on the Y-axis or the X-axis. To do that you will need to export Project data to another application, such as Excel. However, if your goal is to see total hours for each resource in a snippet of time (e.g. monthly), why not use the Task Usage or Resource Usage views? Both contain the data you want and there is no graphical interpretation. If you really need a graph, use Project's Visual Reports feature to export the data to Excel. If you export the Resource Work Summary report, you will get a graph in Excel with resources on the X-axis and resource hours on the Y-axis.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by GoMSACCESS Sunday, November 25, 2018 11:15 PM
    Sunday, November 25, 2018 6:51 PM
  • Yes, got it. The Report-Custom-More Reports, Resources option does have the selection to show the Overallocation.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by GoMSACCESS Monday, November 26, 2018 5:50 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2018 5:50 PM
  • GoMSProject,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Monday, November 26, 2018 6:59 PM