none
WSE 2016 Dashboard takes nearly two minutes to open and has cloud sync issues

Question

• I have the Windows Server Essentials Experience role installed on Windows Server 2016 Standard.

After a server restart, the WSE dashboard opens in about 15 seconds and there are no issues.

After the server has been running for a while (I don't know exactly how long, but say 24 hours or more), the dashboard takes about 1 minute and 40 seconds to open and there are issues synchronising with Office 365.

On the Health Monitoring tab I see the following warning:
    Details
    Cannot sync membership to Microsoft cloud services
    Resolution
    Make sure your internet connection is available. The sync will automatically start later.

When I click on the Users tab, the Microsoft Cloud Account column displays the status as 'Unknown' for all user accounts.

I just want to restate that after a server restart, everything functions normally for some time, then this issues starts after the server has been running for a while.

If I can't get this issue resolved, I'll have to disable Office 365 integration in the dashboard and start using Azure AD Connect instead.

This is making me regret going with Windows Server 2016 instead of 2012 R2.

Here's a fresh copy of my Dashboard.log file when the issue is present. Hopefully some clever person can spot where the problem lies.

The Dashboard.log file was too long to post in the forum, so here's a link to view it:

http://m.uploadedit.com/ba3s/1481412514327.txt

• Edited by Simon Daniel Sunday, December 11, 2016 4:02 AM Clarification
    Saturday, December 10, 2016 11:34 PM

All replies

• I'd like to add that I already tried disabling the dashboard integration with Office 365 and Azure Active Directory, then reinstalling those components. It made no difference.
    Sunday, December 11, 2016 4:01 AM
  • I've been performing some additional troubleshooting and made an interesting discovery:

The WSE dashboard was taking nearly two minutes to open, as I described in my first post.

I stopped and then started the 'Windows Server Essentials Management Service' service and then the WSE dashboard opened in just eight seconds! In addition, all the Microsoft cloud account information was displayed as it should be.

Now, the million dollar question is what's causing this terrible performance degradation over time?

In the interim, I've created a scheduled task to restart this service every 24 hours.

Sunday, December 11, 2016 9:21 AM
  • Hello Simon, I have no answer to your question. I have several WSE 2016 running now and all have the issue you see. Something is wrong.

I have a case open where RWA is no longer working after 24 hours. Users can no longer login and get an error message, see screenshot. I think this is related to the issue you have.

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Twitter | Facebook | Migrations done the easy way

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, December 11, 2016 9:30 AM
  • Hello Simon, I have no answer to your question. I have several WSE 2016 running now and all have the issue you see. Something is wrong.

I have a case open where RWA is no longer working after 24 hours. Users can no longer login and get an error message, see screenshot. I think this is related to the issue you have.

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Twitter | Facebook | Migrations done the easy way

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Hi Mariëtte

I'm also experiencing the same issue as you with Remote Web Access. Performing an iisreset or restarting the Windows Server Essentials Management Service service doesn't resolve this issue.

Please keep us updated on the outcome of your case with Microsoft.

I'm feeling quite frustrated with the poor quality of Windows Server Essentials 2016. I can't believe Microsoft did much testing of this product.

Sunday, December 11, 2016 10:05 PM
  • Hi,

Except slow open Dashboard, are there any other slow performance encountered?

I notice that after a server restart, everything functions normally for some time, then this issues starts after the server has been running for a while. Have you monitored the CPU/Memory/Disk usage during this period?

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 12, 2016 12:24 PM
  • Alvwan, the server has 'nothing' to do. Even after a day running all seems very quiet but the Dashboard is sluggish and RWA fails.

Mariëtte Knap

Monday, December 12, 2016 1:44 PM
  • Hi Mariëtte

I'm also experiencing the same issue as you with Remote Web Access. Performing an iisreset or restarting the Windows Server Essentials Management Service service doesn't resolve this issue.

Please keep us updated on the outcome of your case with Microsoft.

I'm feeling quite frustrated with the poor quality of Windows Server Essentials 2016. I can't believe Microsoft did much testing of this product.

Hello Simon,

I bet they are working on it now and if it takes to long it will be escalated. It is a problem that already is costing me turnover because one customer called me to delay the upgrade....

Mariëtte Knap

Monday, December 12, 2016 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

Except slow open Dashboard, are there any other slow performance encountered?

I notice that after a server restart, everything functions normally for some time, then this issues starts after the server has been running for a while. Have you monitored the CPU/Memory/Disk usage during this period?

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

The server CPU/memory/disk are sitting at idle; no unusual activity. The dashboard doesn't just become slow to open, the Office 365 integration stops working as well (until you restart the Windows Server Essentials Management Service service, then the dashboard returns to normal operation).
    Monday, December 12, 2016 8:06 PM
  • Hi Simon,

I will try to report and confirm this issue to the product team and keep you posted if there is any useful information.

Thanks for your understanding and sorry for all the inconvenience that brought to you.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 2:48 AM
  • FYI: I've posted further details of this issue in the Microsoft Partner forum. I was able to replicate the issue in a test environment. Here's a link to the forum thread:

https://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/mpndataplat/forum/mpncatwinsvr-mpnws2016/windows-server-2016-essentials-experience-role/5b57c2b8-7344-4de2-bf43-d43dfe824141

Monday, January 30, 2017 8:17 PM
  • Just a brief update on this issue: A Microsoft engineer requested the logs from my customer's server and was also able to reproduce the problem themselves in their lab. Here's a link to the forum thread:

https://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/mpndataplat/forum/mpncatwinsvr-mpnws2016/windows-server-2016-essentials-experience-role/5b57c2b8-7344-4de2-bf43-d43dfe824141

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​There's no guarantee that a fix will be forthcoming, but this must surely be considered a serious bug.
    Wednesday, February 01, 2017 9:08 PM
  • Hang loose I just set up an official support case.  Let's get to the bottom of these bugs shall we?
    Wednesday, February 01, 2017 10:48 PM
  • any word??

Dan
    Tuesday, February 07, 2017 10:50 PM
  • Susan kindly opened an official support case for me. It's been assigned to three senior members of the technical support team. No progress as of yet. They did say they were unable to reproduce the problem in their test environment, yet another Microsoft support engineer over in the Partner Forum said he was able to reproduce the issue, so I pointed them at that forum discussion as well.
    Wednesday, February 08, 2017 4:00 AM
  • Hi

Would you please try the workaround in this post

Server Essentials 2016 RWW Broken

Friday, February 17, 2017 3:11 AM
  • Hi

Would you please try the workaround in this post

Server Essentials 2016 RWW Broken

It works! Thank you.
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 8:25 PM
  • The Microsoft engineer working on my case informs me a private fix is now available for us to test. I hope to install it tomorrow.
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:36 AM
  • The private hotfix seems to have resolved the issue. The engineer assigned to my case says a permanent fix should appear as an optional update in one month and then a mandatory update the following month.
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:06 PM
  • I received confirmation from Microsoft today that the May 2017 Update Rollup for Windows Server 2016 includes the fix for these two related issues (Windows Server Essentials dashboard takes a long time to open and the Remote Web Access portal stops working about 24 hours after a server restart). I plan on installing the update this weekend.
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 2:17 AM