August Cumulative Updates? RRS feed

• Question

• Just wondering whether anyone knows when we can expect the August 2010 Office 2007 Cumulative Updates (or specifically the Word 2007 August 2010 update)?  I'm in a hard spot -- it looks like the June 2010 fixed one issue I had, but caused an issue with something else.  I'm hoping (naively) that it might be repaired in the August update.
    Bryan Berns
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:01 PM

Answers

• If you want to send the template to me at dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org I will investigate the issue.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Bryan Berns" wrote in message news:d7906671-927a-42d1-83e6-debe613eb4c1@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Ok,

Some additional information.  I don't think it's related to the fact the document is protected, the AutoStart, or AutoNew functions since I eliminated all those factors.

The problem appears to be more related to the buttons finding the underlying 'ThisDocument' object.  After I get the new, template-derived document and put the document into design-mode and then try to double-click the command button (as to jump to the VBA source), Word blows up.  So the lack of being able to use the button is probably related the inability of Word to locate the underlying code.  This operation Works fine when I open the document as a DOT file or rename it to DOC.  It looks like somewhere between SP2 and the June 2010 updates that Word has changed how the VBA code transferred when a template instantiates a document.

If I get more information, I'll post it here.

-- Bryan Berns

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:48 AM
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:29 PM

All replies

• What was the issue that you say was caused by an update that you applied in June?

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"Bryan Berns" wrote in message news:c8b4ceff-702b-4a07-8be7-4f9bd7a4ae36@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Just wondering whether anyone knows when we can expect the August 2010 Office 2007 Cumulative Updates (or specifically the Word 2007 August 2010 update)?  I'm in a hard spot -- it looks like the June 2010 fixed one issue I had, but caused an issue with something else.  I'm hoping (naively) that it might be repaired in the August update.

-- Bryan Berns

Saturday, August 21, 2010 9:05 PM
  • I haven't gotten a minimalist example down yet, but we have a very popular template (.dot) which has buttons that run VBA and that's protected.   After the June updates are applied, the buttons don't work.  It's almost like they are in design mode, but the rest of the form isn't.   Removing (or not applying) the June 2010 word-x-none.msp update and the button run the code they're supposed to.  I've tried converting the template to the new file format (.dotm) but that doesn't seem to help.

With the update, I can only get the buttons to work by renaming the template to a regular document (.doc) file and using it that way.  Kinda defeats the purposes of templates, in that case.

Notably, the document also has some AutoStart and AutoNew functions and I think I saw that those have been tinkered with in the last few updates.

Bryan Berns
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Ok,

Some additional information.  I don't think it's related to the fact the document is protected, the AutoStart, or AutoNew functions since I eliminated all those factors.

The problem appears to be more related to the buttons finding the underlying 'ThisDocument' object.  After I get the new, template-derived document and put the document into design-mode and then try to double-click the command button (as to jump to the VBA source), Word blows up.  So the lack of being able to use the button is probably related the inability of Word to locate the underlying code.  This operation Works fine when I open the document as a DOT file or rename it to DOC.  It looks like somewhere between SP2 and the June 2010 updates that Word has changed how the VBA code transferred when a template instantiates a document.

Bryan Berns
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:52 PM
  • If you want to send the template to me at dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org I will investigate the issue.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"Bryan Berns" wrote in message news:d7906671-927a-42d1-83e6-debe613eb4c1@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Ok,

The problem appears to be more related to the buttons finding the underlying 'ThisDocument' object.  After I get the new, template-derived document and put the document into design-mode and then try to double-click the command button (as to jump to the VBA source), Word blows up.  So the lack of being able to use the button is probably related the inability of Word to locate the underlying code.  This operation Works fine when I open the document as a DOT file or rename it to DOC.  It looks like somewhere between SP2 and the June 2010 updates that Word has changed how the VBA code transferred when a template instantiates a document.

-- Bryan Berns

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:48 AM
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:29 PM