none
Set a password for an installed program on Win 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a request to set a password for a installed program on Win 10, so even administartors have to input password before lauching that program (exe file), Does Win10 has its own feature to do this? Thanks.
    Monday, January 21, 2019 2:43 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please try these steps:

Open Registry Editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.

Set ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to value data 1.

Let us know if this works for you!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Monday, January 21, 2019 8:13 AM
  • UAC has nothing to do with this, so changing the consent prompt behavior does nothing.

--

You will have to use special software, win10 has no feature like this. I know solutions that work with a dongle - the software is only startable if the dongle is present. There are other solutions that work with passwords, but I didn't use these. Look at http://www.winguardpro.com/ for example.

Monday, January 21, 2019 12:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

According to your description, it is recommended that you refer to the methods mentioned in the following link:

https://superuser.com/questions/896562/how-to-set-a-password-for-program-application-in-windows-8

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by hurry yang Monday, January 21, 2019 2:27 PM
    • Proposed as answer by hurry yang Sunday, January 27, 2019 11:27 AM
    Monday, January 21, 2019 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

Is there anything else I can do to help you on this issue?

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Hurry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:18 PM
  • Hi,
    How things are going there on this issue?
    Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Hurry

Friday, January 25, 2019 1:24 PM
  • Now I'm tring to store the password for a installed program in credential Manger, but it does not look secure to me because as Admin I can edit the password in credential Manger, Is there any secure place I can store the password in Windows that other administartor can not update it? Thanks

Monday, January 28, 2019 2:36 AM
  • Mister Moderator Yang: If you mind to read other suggestions, you will see that the contents of your link had been already posted right before your comment.
    Monday, January 28, 2019 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

The following will allow a program that requires admin rights to run by saving the admin credentials: 

1. Create a normal Short-Cut to application.exe on the desktop.

2. Right-click the short-cut and select Properties.

3. In the Target box, insert the following before the path to application.exe: "runas /savecred /user:administrator ".

4. Double-click the new short-cut, and enter the administrator password.

Best regards,

Hurry

Monday, January 28, 2019 1:40 PM
  • Liang, if you are looking for a secure way, don't save the password at all. Other admins may always read out saved passwords, no matter where they are saved.

Please explain your scenario in detail. If I understand correctly, you would like to have an application protected by a password - what solution have you chosen to do so that would even allow the usage of credential manager?

Monday, January 28, 2019 1:50 PM
  • Windows 10 has a built-in AppLocker service but only with Windows Enterprise or Education. For any other version you need to install one of the many programs (some free) created for this purpose.

Monday, January 28, 2019 9:59 PM
  • We have a GUI program to enable and disable UWF, a request from a customer want a password dialog pop up whenever someone try to launch that GUI program, only the Admin with password can enable/disable UWF and modify that password.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 6:20 AM
  • That was understood. The question was something different: what solution have you chosen to do so that would even allow the usage of credential manager?
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:02 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your detailed feedback.

Have you tried any other methods, please?

Best regards,

Hurry

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:14 PM
  • I'm using the Windows Credential API (CredRead, CredWrite, CredDelete, CredEnumerate) to store password in Credential Manager.

I did't expect admin can directly edit the password in CredentialManager without knowing the current password.

CredentialManager.WriteCredential("APP", "Admin", "Passw0rd");

https://gist.github.com/meziantou/10311113

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:48 AM
  • Liang, you still haven't answered. What software are you using, what software makes people input credentials in order to be entitled to install a program?

I suggested to use http://www.winguardpro.com/  earlier - did you use that?

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please try to reply to Ronald Schilf's question if it is convenient. I'll do further analysis.

Best regards,

Hurry

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:37 PM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Best regards,

Hurry

Friday, February 1, 2019 1:04 PM