Disable Windows security center alerts on sysprep? RRS feed

• Question

• I am sysprepping an image for deployment into the pcs in our labs.  I had thought that the Security center settings were part of the profile, and that when syspreping the system it would keep the settings, but I doesn't.  I am attempting to get it to disable the windows security center alerts, specifically: virus scanner, windows update and firewall.

I have located a registry key that is supposed to perform this task but I can't seem to get it to take.  In an attempt to put that process into the sysprep I added a custom synchronous  command to pass 4, specialize.  The command, as entered is:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Svc" /v AntiVirusOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Along with another command for the firewall and yet another still for firewall. 

Is this possible?
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:40 PM

Answers

• I am afraid there are no solid solutions. Since these settings are for user profiles, users can easily change them. Therefore we do not need to specially adjust them when deploying.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:44 AM

All replies

• For what its worth, I also tried to add this key to the sysprep file, in pass 7, oobe system:

x86_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_natural >> OOBE >> ProtectYourPC = 3

Where the help for that particular key says:

Values

Specifies the recommended level of protection for your computer.

Specifies that only updates are installed.

Specifies that automatic protection is disabled.

• Proposed as answer by ONE ZERO Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:02 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, December 2, 2012 4:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:05 PM
  • The following thread may be referred.

How can I turn off messages for certain Action Center items? 

There is another easier way. If you would like to turn off all notifications from Action Center, just change the notification area setting to turn off Action Center. To do so, on your sample computer, turn off Action Center from Notification Area. Then export the following Registry key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

After deploying systems, import this Registry key and the setting in Notification Area will be changed. 

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Arthur-

Thanks for the Thread Pointer and the tip on disabling the action center all together. Unfortunately we can't disable the Security Center alltogether because our Vista user classes go over the action center. Similar to the UAC, we need to disable it to improve the user experience but not remove it.  Moreover, near as I can tell, that thread only applies to Windows 7...Which we aren't doing a whole lot with just yet.  I guess that is my fault for not specifying; sorry for the confusion.

I attempted to use the TrayNotify key with no luck.  Here was the process: Log on, disable security center notifications, export key to desktop, re-enable security notifications, log off, log on, import reg file, log off, log on....notification still hit me.  It might be just that it is vista, but its not working on my test machine.

Are there any Windows Vista tricks to disable the security center notifications *system* wide?  Our classroom computers normally do not exist on a domain, unless required to by the specific class, and we support about five logons on each computer.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 4:21 PM
  • I am afraid there are no solid solutions. Since these settings are for user profiles, users can easily change them. Therefore we do not need to specially adjust them when deploying.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:44 AM