Multiple PXE Service Points RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I have a question about multiple PXE Service points  

We have an SCCM 2012 R2 CU2 environment and have 4 distribution points we have 15.000 clients

We want to use in the future the PXE/WDS functionality  inside SCCM and we want to configure  2 Distribution Points as PXE Service Point

The options DHCP options  66 and 67 will not be set but Iphelpers will be configured by our network team .

Is there a possibility to add 2 PXE service points into the configuration of the router and Switches (Iphelpers) and with SCCM control which PXE service point will respond to PXE requests with the setting Specify the PXE server response delay (seconds)

Example, if you configure the Delay on SERVER A (Distribution point – with PXE Service point and WDS)  to 0 seconds (default) and SERVER B (Distribution point – with PXE Service point and WDS)   to 5 or 10 seconds, then Server A  will respond to the pxe request before Server B . And in case of an error on Server A – Server B will respond to the pxe requests .

Will this work or is there another way to achieve this

Regards  and thx in advance

Regards

Johan  

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:24 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can configure multiple iphelpers -- your network guys most likely already have iphelpers in place to support DHCP and so you're simply adding to them -- and yes this will work fine. There's no need to set the delay either if both DPs serve the same site. If you set the delay in fact, the one with the delay will never be used (once again assuming that they are for the same site).

Question here though? Why enable both for PXE on the same networks? If it's for simple HA, then that's valid. Or is it for something else?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by Jörgen NilssonMVP Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Johan Erven Wednesday, September 24, 2014 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:25 PM
  • Secondly we need to add the newly added IP addresses of our DP servers (with the role PXE service point) as a boundary to the boundary group for content location.

Well, yes and no. You only need to add these IPs to the boundaries if you are deploying packages to the DPs themselves. Not adding their IPs to the boundaries will not affecting deploying packages (or Applications) to clients.

• Marked as answer by Johan Erven Monday, October 13, 2014 1:41 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 1:06 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can configure multiple iphelpers -- your network guys most likely already have iphelpers in place to support DHCP and so you're simply adding to them -- and yes this will work fine. There's no need to set the delay either if both DPs serve the same site. If you set the delay in fact, the one with the delay will never be used (once again assuming that they are for the same site).

Question here though? Why enable both for PXE on the same networks? If it's for simple HA, then that's valid. Or is it for something else?

• Proposed as answer by Jörgen NilssonMVP Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Johan Erven Wednesday, September 24, 2014 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:25 PM
  • Hi Jason

Thx for the response

Will these PXE Service points both service clients then is another question that pops-up now , if they are both configured as IP helper for the whole organisation?  

Yes both servers serve the same site , and it is indeed for HA

Just in case one of the PXE Service Points is in failure that the other one can respond to the request and of course will respond to the requests that’s what we want to achieve.

Regards

Johan

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:52 PM
  • if both dp's have a delay set, and are in the same site, the one with the shortest delay will respond first, the other one wont answer unless it get's a chance to (such as the other dp goes offline ?)

Step by Step Configuration Manager Guides > 2012 Guides | 2007 Guides | I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Hi Neil / Jason

And if I configure no delay will these PXE service points respond radomly

Regards

Johan

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 1:09 PM
  • Yes, it's effectively random. Just like DHCP, the client will choose whichever responds first which could of course be influenced by many external factors.

As for responding to both servers and workstations, during PXE boot there's no difference between the two, they are just systems booting, so yes they will respond to both. If you need to control this, simply don't add the iphelpers to the server subnets or don't target servers with task sequences in ConfigMgr.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 2:23 PM
  • Jason

Thx for the info

Regards

Johan

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 2:34 PM
  • Hi All

I have had a meeting with our Network Team

Our PXE servers (also for out Acceptation environment) must be placed in a separate Vlan , which means that me must change the IP addresses of our DP servers

Our DP servers also have the role application catalog webservice point , application website point and management point.

What challenges do we have then if I perform the following 2 steps.

1 The change of IP address is no problem if we make sure the change is reflected in our DNS (maybe change TTL on the record before the actually change).

Secondly we need to add the newly added IP addresses of our DP servers (with the role PXE service point) as a boundary to the boundary group for content location.

I think these are the 2 steps I need to perform

I hope someone can review this

Regards

Johan

Monday, October 13, 2014 11:43 AM
  • Secondly we need to add the newly added IP addresses of our DP servers (with the role PXE service point) as a boundary to the boundary group for content location.

Well, yes and no. You only need to add these IPs to the boundaries if you are deploying packages to the DPs themselves. Not adding their IPs to the boundaries will not affecting deploying packages (or Applications) to clients.

• Marked as answer by Johan Erven Monday, October 13, 2014 1:41 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 1:06 PM
  • Hi Jason

Thx again

And the IP adres change wiil not give us problems

Regards

Johan

Monday, October 13, 2014 1:41 PM