Word starter 2010 print out format difference RRS feed

• Question

• I printed a resume that I made on a blank page of word starter 2010. The print out had many differences to the format that is found in the original docoment saved on my computer. Every thing got printed but spaces between certain sentences after a full stop are not present and whole sentences have moved up to join the previous paragraph. Also see below.

***********************************                                                                           ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Consider the **s' and ++s' above, as two sentences with a wide space between them as indicated. This was a set of two different columns of data. On the print out it appears joined together like this:-

***********************************+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 

Why did this happen and how can I get a proper print out?

melita
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 9:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Before you print a document, it's a good idea to preview it to make sure that it looks the way you want. When you preview a document in Word Starter, it opens in the Microsoft Office Backstage view. In this view, you can change some page setup options before you print.

Please try to test printing in other programs, the scope of the printing problem may reveal its cause. For example, some printing problems only affect Word, and other printing problems affect several or all your Microsoft Windows programs.

You can test in WordPad: Click Start, point to Programs (in Microsoft Windows XP),  point to All Programs (in vista and 7), point to Accessories, and then click WordPad.

If you can print without problems in all your programs except Word, please repair Word starter and printing with different printer drivers.

You may be able to use Windows printing help and troubleshooters to solve the printing problem.

• In Windows 7, you can run the printing troubleshooting wizard by clicking Start, typing printing, and choosing Find and fix printing problems.
    • In Windows Vista, or Windows XP, click Start, choose Help and Support, and search on printing or printing troubleshoot.

More information you can refer to this article steps 2, 3 and 5, it also apply with Word start:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826845

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by floccinaucini Monday, February 13, 2012 9:28 PM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 4:31 AM
  • Hi,

You may also follow step 3 (Test Printing with Different Printer Drivers) in this article for further troubleshooting: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826845

Best regards.

William Zhou

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:32 AM
  • Hello,

The problem has been solved. Before printing, I had already checked the print preview. Curiously it showed a perfect print preview but the print out came badly. After your reply, I checked again and it showed the same good preview but when actually printed it came out with the flaws.

Later I discovered the problem was with 'accessibility'. To make two different columns on the same page - as shown in my question above - I used the space bar to separate entries in to two columns. I also used the space bar to move sentences around. The blank spaces created by these movements was interpreted by the 'accessibility checker' as 'repeated blank characters'. Word Starter filled up these blank spaces and that is how I got my garbled print out.

I clicked on each display of blank characters on the 'accessibility checker' results, and the blank spaces on the document turned blue. I right clicked and 'cut' them - the blue shaded areas - and the text joined up and filled up just like in the print out! Then I used the curser, 'shift' and 'enter' to reposition the text, without using the space bar and that was the solution. The print out was perfect.

Subsequently I made similar documents, inserting a table and also NOT using the space bar for positioning text. I had no trouble in printing.

What could be the reason for a perfect preview which gives a garbled print out?

Thank you for all the tips and help.

Regards.

Friday, February 10, 2012 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Before you print a document, it's a good idea to preview it to make sure that it looks the way you want. When you preview a document in Word Starter, it opens in the Microsoft Office Backstage view. In this view, you can change some page setup options before you print.

Please try to test printing in other programs, the scope of the printing problem may reveal its cause. For example, some printing problems only affect Word, and other printing problems affect several or all your Microsoft Windows programs.

You can test in WordPad: Click Start, point to Programs (in Microsoft Windows XP),  point to All Programs (in vista and 7), point to Accessories, and then click WordPad.

If you can print without problems in all your programs except Word, please repair Word starter and printing with different printer drivers.

You may be able to use Windows printing help and troubleshooters to solve the printing problem.

• In Windows 7, you can run the printing troubleshooting wizard by clicking Start, typing printing, and choosing Find and fix printing problems.
    • In Windows Vista, or Windows XP, click Start, choose Help and Support, and search on printing or printing troubleshoot.

More information you can refer to this article steps 2, 3 and 5, it also apply with Word start:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826845

Best regards.

William Zhou

Monday, February 6, 2012 4:31 AM
  • Hello,

The problem has been solved. Before printing, I had already checked the print preview. Curiously it showed a perfect print preview but the print out came badly. After your reply, I checked again and it showed the same good preview but when actually printed it came out with the flaws.

Later I discovered the problem was with 'accessibility'. To make two different columns on the same page - as shown in my question above - I used the space bar to separate entries in to two columns. I also used the space bar to move sentences around. The blank spaces created by these movements was interpreted by the 'accessibility checker' as 'repeated blank characters'. Word Starter filled up these blank spaces and that is how I got my garbled print out.

I clicked on each display of blank characters on the 'accessibility checker' results, and the blank spaces on the document turned blue. I right clicked and 'cut' them - the blue shaded areas - and the text joined up and filled up just like in the print out! Then I used the curser, 'shift' and 'enter' to reposition the text, without using the space bar and that was the solution. The print out was perfect.

Subsequently I made similar documents, inserting a table and also NOT using the space bar for positioning text. I had no trouble in printing.

What could be the reason for a perfect preview which gives a garbled print out?

Thank you for all the tips and help.

Regards.

Friday, February 10, 2012 5:04 PM
  • Hi,

You may also follow step 3 (Test Printing with Different Printer Drivers) in this article for further troubleshooting: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826845

Best regards.

William Zhou

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:32 AM
  • Thank you for all the help.

Best regards.

melita

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:29 PM