Web Application Proxy Deployment -- 2 WAP servers, 1 ADFS server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All --

Can I run 2 different WAP servers, each on different subnets and servicing different portals, with 1 ADFS server? If so, how? When I configured the 2nd WAP server ADFS automatically assumed they were farm members.

Thanks!

Robert

Monday, March 25, 2019 8:58 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You can run to WAP servers on different subnets as long as they can communicate with the backend ADFS server. Not sure what you mean by different portals? Both WAP servers will be using the same backend database and the same ADFS service name. For example if your service name is adfs.company.com you can direct external traffic to hit either one of the WAP servers. Not sure if this related to your question, you can not have two distinct adfs service name per ADFS server, example in your setup, you cannot have adfs1.company.com points to WAP1 and adfs2.company.com points to WAP2 and both using the same single adfs backend server.

As you can see, when you configuire the second WAP talking to the same database backend they recognize each other as part of a WAP cluster/adfs farm.

Hope this helps.

Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC <a href="https://www.mcpvirtualbusinesscard.com/VBCServer/4a046848-4b33-4a28-b254-e5b01e29693e/interactivecard"> View my MCP Certifications</a>

Thursday, March 28, 2019 5:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can run to WAP servers on different subnets as long as they can communicate with the backend ADFS server. Not sure what you mean by different portals? Both WAP servers will be using the same backend database and the same ADFS service name. For example if your service name is adfs.company.com you can direct external traffic to hit either one of the WAP servers. Not sure if this related to your question, you can not have two distinct adfs service name per ADFS server, example in your setup, you cannot have adfs1.company.com points to WAP1 and adfs2.company.com points to WAP2 and both using the same single adfs backend server.

As you can see, when you configuire the second WAP talking to the same database backend they recognize each other as part of a WAP cluster/adfs farm.

Hope this helps.

Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC <a href="https://www.mcpvirtualbusinesscard.com/VBCServer/4a046848-4b33-4a28-b254-e5b01e29693e/interactivecard"> View my MCP Certifications</a>

Thursday, March 28, 2019 5:22 AM
  • Thanks for responding -- sorry for the late reply!

So if I'm understanding you, if I am using 1 WAP to publish internal domain services to *.testplace.com and another WAP to publish other services in the same internal domain  to *.differentplace.com, I need one ADFS server for each WAP?

Robert

Monday, April 29, 2019 4:57 PM
  • Both WAP will have the same config. 

If you want to use one only for certain purpose, all will be done at the DNS (and/or Load Balancer) level.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 6:51 PM